Really need advice - PC or Mac for editing.

Filmgirl007 13:37 18 Aug 2007

I'm just about to embark on a very small business venture. I've been given a copy of Final Cut Pro 2 suite and I'm looking for the best laptop to install it onto.

My options are the small 2.2GHZ apple Macbook pro or a Dell. I can upgrade the dell to a 2GHZ processor with 160Gb hard drive and a 256 Geforce graphic card at a cost of £1000.

The mac has a 2.2 GHZ processor, 120Gb hard drive and a 128 Geforce graphics card at a cost of £1,200 (I can get an educational discount).

I keep hearing that Macs are much better for graphics work but -

a. I could really do with not having to spend the extra £200 on the mac if I don't really need to.

b. I'm worried that my peripherals won't work on it. The mac doesn't have many port options and from what little knowledge I have on this it seems I'll need to buy additional adapters.

I'm starting to stress as I need to get something bought asap if Im going to start in the schools ontime.

All suggestions would very very welcome.

wee eddie 14:00 18 Aug 2007

click here

There is no argument, you must get the Mac.

Although this is a PC Forum, almost everyone is sensible enough to accept that each system has it's strengths and weaknesses. This area is on the side of the Mac's strengths.

There are possibilities of Conflicts between the Dell and your Software.

There is one problem as far as I can see. The Review is discussing the Software's performance on a G4. Neither of the options that you have mentioned can match that machine.

Is there anyway you can skip the Laptop Option and head for either Desktop Option as you would get a higher specification for your money.

If you are going to be working with Video/Movie material then specification is very important. You will also find that a second Monitor will make all the difference to that ease with which you can work. (that might not be possible with the Laptop option)

David4637 14:10 18 Aug 2007

If you want plenty of choice of software at affordable prices go for a PC. David

€dstowe 14:36 18 Aug 2007

If the software you have been given is intended for a Mac then a Windows PC (which is what a Dell will be) would not be able to use it easily, if at all.

Kate B 16:12 18 Aug 2007

Final Cut is Mac only, as far as I know. All your peripherals will work with the Mac - if the CD they came with doesn't have Mac drivers the manufacturer's website will.

Forum Editor 00:25 19 Aug 2007

You'll have to buy the Mac if you want to use Final Cut Pro, it won't run on a Windows machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?