A ppleMac

shellship 15:20 04 Jan 2006

I know this is a PC forum but please bear with me. My son has just replaced his ageing Dell with an AppleMac G5 with a 17" screen and I played with it over Christmas. The reproduction on the screen seeems to be much better than that on my 19" LCD Syncmaster, almost as good as a CRT. Is this because Apple have much better screens or is it, as I suspect, a function of the Apple OS and all that goes with it?

Forum Editor 18:03 04 Jan 2006

so don't worry - we welcome Mac questions as well.

Your son has a superb computer, and Apple OS looks very good on the screen, so that has something to do with it. Apple displays are known for quality, so that also has a bearing.

Your Syncmaster is also a good display, and if it isn't looking as good as you had hoped there may be a hardware reason. Does your computer have an onboard graphics chip - one that is on the motherboard - or does it have a PCI graphics card?

Have you adjusted the screen's settings since you got it?

shellship 18:34 04 Jan 2006

Thanks. 16Mb ATI Rage Ultra - better than on-board but not the best but then I am not a gamer 'tho I do a lot of picture work. Limited adjustment on monitor - presets, really - and feel I am on best setting. Mind you, PCA website is looking quite beautiful at this moment!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires