Partition an old Win HD for backing up Macbook

benhoff 19:12 03 May 2014

Hi there,

Have a slightly odd problem. I have a HD from an old computer which I use as an external HD. It has some important files on it which I need to keep. As it stands, it is a single partition formatted as windows (NTFS).

I'd love to be able to use it as a HD for backing up my Macbook Pro. But I don't want to format the whole thing for Mac, because I can't loose the files on it. Is there a way of partitioning some of the drive (rather like you might in Boot Camp) for use with the Mac back up, and keeping some partitioned as windows friendly?

Thanks, Ben

rtp8™ 00:48 05 May 2014

Suggest you to get a new HDD for backup because your OLD HDD may fail at any time & lost all datas on it.

However, to do what you want, move your important files on the old HDD to another backup device or the Macbook Pro temporarily then put it in a either a caddy or with suitable connecting cables & connect it to the Macbook Pro.(Make sure you check & can open those files after moved)

In Disk Utility , select Partition tab (if you don't see Partition tab then you've to erase the drive. Partitioning an external hard drive for Mac and PC (follow Kappy's advice) or How to partition a startup drive (click 1-5 steps on the left side lists).

The partition you wish to use on a PC you should format MSDOS (FAT) or ExFAT (if supported on your PC) but if you prefer using NTFS then format it with a PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?