Opera Coast Browser on iPad

Woolwell 22:00 26 Jun 2014
Answered

Have just discovered Opera Coast. So far it seems to be quite quick and works fine with this site on an iPad.

Interested to know what others think.

rdave13 22:25 26 Jun 2014

I'm not up to standard with the iPad, even though there's three in this household, so forgive my ignorance Woolwell.

It appears that Opera Coast Browser is not a true browser but an app. Firefox and Apple also appear to be at loggerheads on similar issues, though, nothing I can find seems to prove this difference. Two links I can supply that might make sense of it to you.

Opera App

Firefox web engine true browser?

On Android Firefox is as much of a browser as that horrible Chrome, but at least Google allows choice.

Let me know what you think of an App browser compared to a proper browser with its own engine.

Very interesting.

Woolwell 23:27 26 Jun 2014

Opera Coast is a browser. You can only install extra browsers eg Chrome and Opera as apps.

rdave13 23:49 26 Jun 2014

Woolwell I understand that but why the difference? Why should Firefox agree to 'copy' the Chrome interface on Android and also, to be fair, on the PC? Was it that they had an agreement that Firefox had autonomy to run its own browser engine as long as it resembled Chrome?

Opera browser on Apple is governed by whom? Apple or Opera?

I'm asking because I don't know and it is still something to debate as Firefox is still unavailable on any Apple product.

Why I wonder?

You can only install extra browsers eg Chrome and Opera as apps., agreed but at what terms?

Forgot, Apple's terms, for sure. Trouble is I don't know their terms so will keep away.

Woolwell 11:58 27 Jun 2014
Answer

My understanding is that Apple tightly control all apps hence they are more secure than Android apps but the downside is that browser apps have to use the Apple engine. This could be why Firefox isn't on the iPad.

Interesting article.

I've now found a few drawbacks with Opera Coast. The interface is really different and not so intuitive. I think that it appears to be quick because it has a simple page.

rdave13 20:01 27 Jun 2014

Woolwell , excellent link and sums it up nicely. You can (nearly) have any browser on the iPad so long as it's Safari :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?