New Machine problems

ened 14:06 17 Nov 2007

I have just built a machine with the following specs:

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR 975x Socket 775 Core 2 Duo ready FSB1066 DDR2 Audio Crossfire ATX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache
4gig Corsair - DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2
MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB DVI HDTV PCI-E Graphics Card
Vista Ultimate

The thing is that I am unable to use any toolbars.

When I click on ‘File’ (Or anything else on the toolbar) the menu flashes in a split second and then disappears.

I noticed it in both Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and tried it on something else, all with the same result.

All other menus work okay.

According to the BIOS the cpu is 49 degrees and the case temperature is 37.
I mention this because I had a problem last weekend with the installation and the Language option behaved in exactly the same way – I discovered the cpu heatsink was not fixed down properly and the temperature was 95.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:18 17 Nov 2007

The thing is that I am unable to use any toolbars.

When I click on ‘File’ (Or anything else on the toolbar) the menu flashes in a split second and then disappears.

I noticed it in both Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and tried it on something else, all with the same result.

Not a hardware problem but a VIsta problem I think you need to reload Vista.

ened 14:27 17 Nov 2007

I only have one set of screen/ keyboard etc. so I would like as much info as possible before switching back and trying again.

Is there a repair option or would you recommend a completely fresh install. I cannot see what will be different this time because the installation was normal with no interruptions or problems.

If it is definitely not a hardware problem I am half inclined to revert back to XP because I was not that keen after the short experience I had with Vista.

ened 16:13 17 Nov 2007

This is weird.

I have an old 12" Monitor and ps2 keyboard and mouse which I have dug out.

Plugged it in and the temperature started at 40, after five minutes (idle) it rose to 51/52. I then got some pictures off it (prior to reinstallation)restarted it and the temperature had dropped to 49.

Booted into Vista, opened OE, tried the toolbar and it worked.

So what can you make of that? If at all possible I would like to try to resolve this before I set it up properly.

ened 16:15 17 Nov 2007

Actually, thinking about it, I have a Logitech MX1000 mouse and mx keyboard and I had not installed the drivers because I was directed to Logitech by Vista as mine are incompatible.

Could this have caused the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?