New machine but never connected to net

taskmaster 22:36 31 May 2008

Just inherited a 6 month old HP Pavillion desktop running Vista Premium, which never been connected to internet and OEM installed antivirus has now expired, as have the windows updates. Can I be infected before I can download & install a free av / firewall? What should I do?

rossgolf 22:44 31 May 2008

put install file on usb pen or similar and run the anti virus program before you connect

birdface 09:06 01 Jun 2008

Turn on Windows Firewall.Anti-Virus out of date.You should still be able to use it.But will not get any updates.[Hope I got that right]You may have to go to.All Programs.Accessories.System tools.Activate Windows.And put the OEM Keycode in to activate it.

Forum Editor 09:27 01 Jun 2008

whilst you are on your way to download and install anti-virus software are very slim. I've done the same thing many times, and not once has anything untoward happened.

Nevertheless, do what makes you feel safe.

taskmaster 08:58 10 Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies. Tried Rossgolf and Marg7's suggestions of downloading free antivirus to old machine, transferring to new via memory stick. Elected to use Avast av and everything fine until install on new machine. Avast made its initial scan as expected but when finished, screen went blank with pc humming away but no other sign of life. Eventually switched off at mains as nothing else worked. On restart Windows went through the diagonostics, did a system restore and then fired up as normal having deleted Avast AV.

Technotiger 09:12 10 Jun 2008

Download AVG8 Free from click here then transfer via flash drive.

Technotiger 09:13 10 Jun 2008

PS Vista Premium has its own Firewall - better than XP's.

wotbus@ 09:30 10 Jun 2008

I agree with FE. Just go online, d/l and install a decent Firewall first, then the AV of your choice and run it afterwards. I suggest ZoneAlarm first then AVG8. This should protect you until you get sorted permanently. Do not d/l anything else - or - go surfing meanwhile ;-)

Technotiger 09:37 10 Jun 2008

If it will be connected via a Router with a built-in hardware firewall, Vistas own firewall will be sufficient.

wotbus@ 11:11 10 Jun 2008

Concur - click here
Vista is still in the future for me, and usually in the Vista forum ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?