New 40GB ATA100 HDD fitted in old machine question

Giggle n' Bits 20:00 01 Jul 2004

Hello,
Fitted a 40GB HDD in a old Pbell machine to run Win98Se, when fitting system wouldn't boot at all so I changed the jumper caps on the HDD to be 32 Clip, it now boots and the HDD shows as 33822MB which I translate to close to 34GB (correct me if I am wrong please)

My main concern is with changing the jumper on the HDD to get it to register with the computer, is this correct and going to cause any problems ?

My idea was something I read a while back but cannot recall where from.

AndySD 20:39 01 Jul 2004

what make is the hard disk

Gongoozler 21:15 01 Jul 2004

Hi DiDumms. My uderstanding is that 32 Clip is a facility in some hard drives have for artificially reducing the effective size to 32G. If you have to do this to get the drive to boot on your old P-Bell, then it may be because you BIOS is old enough to have a 32G limit click here. If this is the case, your options are

1) See if there is a BIOS update for your computer that removes the barrier.

2) See if your hard drive manufacturer has a software utility that overcomes the barrier

3) Get a PCI ATA interface card

4) Get a new motherboard.

click here

Giggle n' Bits 23:35 01 Jul 2004

& also M8 Gongoozler (Hi), now I understand what the 32 Clip does from ontrack pdf html.

Your other Html link was dead(Make a shorter link)

IBM HDD think there should be a utility from there site to sort this out, as not a big fan of BIOS Flashing old dogs.

Gongoozler 19:18 04 Jul 2004

Hi DiDumms. The Makeashorterlink link works for me, but it's a bit slow. It's a link the the Maxtor Knowledge Base, and refers to the question "What is a Bios limitation or BIOS capacity barrier?". I'll try poating the full URL, but I don't think there is much chance of it getting through unscathed.
click here**&p_li=

Gongoozler 19:19 04 Jul 2004

Amazing. Even without the end bit, the link still works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?