need wireless card/usb adaptor for Mac G5

reburner57 13:31 13 Sep 2006

My mother in law has just moved in and she has a Mac G5 which I want to connect to our wireless network so she can access the internet.
I have never used/owned a mac before so am not sure whether I can get a wirless card for these or whether I need a USB wireless connector.
Any assistance and/or links to where i can buy the required product would be greatly appreciated

mgmcc 12:37 14 Sep 2006

You don't by any chance have a Belkin USB Wireless Network Adapter handy do you? I have one of these and managed to find software which lets me use it with a MacMini (running Mac OS X 10.4.7). I could have sent you the software to try it and, if successful, you could use that adapter with the Mac and bought another to replace it.

The reason I suggest trying it first is that there appear to be different versions of Belkin's adapter, although they look identical. Email me via the yellow envelope if you want the software.

reburner57 10:02 18 Sep 2006

Not got a Belkin. Have a BT Voyager wirelless router. Can anyone else tell me what I need to get the Mac on the network ?

reburner57 08:29 25 Sep 2006

Solved. The mac G5 has a built in wireless card which, after I worked out how to view available networks on the mac, was able to pick up the ome network and connect once the WEP key was input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017