My son (36) needs a Smack!

Guy Fawkes 12:02 22 Mar 2010

My son has made a new partition on his pc, selected this as active, rebooted - warned may not detect hard drive - now after reboot, shows msg. NTLDR is missing and can go no further than Bios screen. He also had problems accessing cd drives before he started.
Please Help!

RobCharles1981 13:37 22 Mar 2010

Googled:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 22 Mar 2010

Do you have a XP CD you can use to boot to Recovery Console?

Windows always considers the active partition to be drive C, so the drive letters on the hard disk partitions may have changed from their original orientation.
Using the Recovery Console, you need to copy the following files from the root directory of the original system partition to the root directory of the current active partition (which is now drive C):
NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
BOOT.INI
If the partition was not formatted using Windows, you may also need to use the Recovery Console's FIXBOOT command to make the active partition bootable.

After you are able to boot into Windows, it is recommended that you use the Windows Disk Management snap-in tool to reset the original system partition as the active partition, and reboot the computer. This will restore the correct system partition as the C: drive.

Guy Fawkes 15:09 22 Mar 2010

Op System is XP and I have a Disc, but his CD drive does not work and he's not sure about the floppy drive. Can I copy my XP disc onto a usb drive?

mgmcc 15:25 22 Mar 2010

If you have a PC with XP and a working floppy drive, copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from the root of your drive to a floppy disk. (To access these files you need to have Windows Explorer set to show both "hidden files" and "protected operating system files".)

Then see if your son can boot from the floppy. You would *normally* get an error message that the Boot.ini file is missing or corrupt and that it is booting from Windows instead, but having set the wrong partition as 'active' this might not work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 22 Mar 2010

Can I copy my XP disc onto a usb drive? and boot from it is unlikely.

MAke a USB drive with recovery console click here

MarvintheAndroid 19:09 22 Mar 2010

"My son (36) needs a Smack!"

This isn't that sort of web site !!!

Looks like the BIOS is looking for the master boot sector in the wrong partition. This probably happened after he made the new partition active.

Try click here

Marv

Guy Fawkes 17:31 23 Mar 2010

He's driving himself & me, mad. Was up all night, cd drive now working, took my xp pro disc to try restore but put his code in and it failed. should he use my key code, as he's only restoring from my disc?
I followed Marv's link, I got all but the 1st part (Format) so my usb stick will probably not work for him, as I couldn't do the final part either.
Still, West Ham's playing tonight , so his computer will have to wait 'till after the final whistle.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 23 Mar 2010

A restore is not going to work nor is a repair while you have changed active disks

Use recovery console as per my post Mon, 22/03/[email protected]:44

Guy Fawkes 08:02 25 Mar 2010

he's using my XP Pro cd, does he have to put MY Key Code in?

tullie 08:10 25 Mar 2010

No,he must use the one on the sticker on his own pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017