Mixing PC and MAC

Simsy 16:31 28 Nov 2006

I currently have a wired router/ADSLmodem which has 2 PC connected to it, (They are in adjacent rooms witha small hole in the wall!)

Up till now there has been no need for any networking or filesharing, (we just both accessed the internet via the router/ADSLmodem), but I have recently discovered how to do this so my son can use my printer, and have access to various setup.exe files on my PC, and all seems to be working well.

It seems he is about to get a MAC, (he is doing graphic design at Uni), and when he brings it home he will want to acees the internet and use my printer...

A FEW questions, (to which I hope and suspect the answers are "Yes")...

Should I expect the new MAC to have a standard ethernet port so he can just connect to the router as with the PC?

Will he have to do any configuring on the MAC to be able to use my printer, which is USB and connected to my PC, not to the router? (With his current Windows PC we have to make it be on the same "workgroup" as mine.)

Will we be able to share documents, (assuming folder sharing enabled as appropriate), or do PCs and MACs not converse?

If so, will it be easy/wizard driven?

Anything I haven't thought of which may cause problems? Or am I worry about nothing!

If there's anything else I'm going to have to think of, I want to be prepared for when he comes home for Christmas!

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simsy

mgmcc 17:03 28 Nov 2006

<<< Should I expect the new MAC to have a standard ethernet port so he can just connect to the router as with the PC? >>>

Yes.

<<< Will he have to do any configuring on the MAC to be able to use my printer, which is USB and connected to my PC, not to the router? (With his current Windows PC we have to make it be on the same "workgroup" as mine.)

I have to admit that I have never had any success in trying to use a "network printer" from the Mac to a printer connected to a PC (although I'm sure it can be done!). Instead, my solution was to use a Belkin USB switch that allows up to four computers to connect to a single USB peripheral.

<<< Will we be able to share documents, (assuming folder sharing enabled as appropriate), or do PCs and MACs not converse? >>>

There is no problem in "sharing" documents, as in transferring them between PC and Mac or vice versa, but to do anything useful they need to be compatible with the programs in both computers. The Mac will open PDF files, RTF files, graphics files and so on, but to open Word or Excel files, for example, would require either the Mac version of Microsoft Office, or something like Open Office which supports the file formats.

<<< If so, will it be easy/wizard driven? >>>

A little networking knowledge will certainly help. It isn't particularly difficult, just different and the Mac doesn't have the sort of setup wizard that Windows has.

When you get the Mac, I or someone else can take you through it step-by-step. The internet is easy, just plug it into a LAN port on the router and off you go!

Simsy 17:07 28 Nov 2006

sounds promising.

The printer thing might be an issue... but we'll cross that when the time comes. It sound like it should be possible.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:14 28 Nov 2006

file format issue you raise...

It's only likely to be jpgs.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?