Minor niggles with new machine.

ventanas 12:17 26 May 2004

I've got a new Dell Dimension 4600 on my desk, and one or two things are proving to be a bit of a nuisance.

Every time I start it I have to into display effects and recheck the box to show window content while dragging.

I also have to recheck the box to use toggle keys every time. (I've a habit of catching caps lock when hitting tab so the beeps help)

Also I've installed the Google toolbar twice. When it's there Internet access, 2mb b/band, virtually freezes. Uninstalling kills the machine completely, although it has gone when I restart, and web access is back to normal.

Grateful for any advice.

€dstowe 12:39 26 May 2004

The keyword in your post is "new".

If the machine is not functioning the way it should or is expected to do, get in contact with the supplier. It is their responsibility to provide you with a machine that works. If they are unable to do that, send it back.

ventanas 12:49 26 May 2004

Thanks for the observation, but I don't think the extent of the problems warrant a return. Probably just needs a tweak or two.

I've got past the problem with Google by using the workaround with TweakUI in the June issue of the mag. It's really just the two settings that are not remembered when I switch it off.

€dstowe 12:58 26 May 2004

Perhaps not send back in the first instance but at least make Dell aware of the problem and ask for their assistance.

Having difficulties this early in the life of a machine could, just possibly, be an indication of things to come. If you make the supplier aware of this now, it could help in the future.

ventanas 14:07 26 May 2004

I suppose its worth one email. Probably won't get a reply though. Thanks.

€dstowe 14:16 26 May 2004

It only takes a small threat to them to get a reply. Something like you are "rejecting the item as unsuitable for purpose"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires