macro lens

podlod 12:29 14 Sep 2006

Hi, I wish to purchase a macro lens for my Nikon D70s digital camera, could you please tell me where, who, and why, as the prices differ so much?, thanks again.

ade.h 15:07 14 Sep 2006

Any Nikon dealer worthy of the name. As for prices, you may need to work out exactly what lens model you want, then compare prices on that. click here

ade.h 15:13 14 Sep 2006

Please don't duplicate threads; it doesn't help us to help you and can lead to confusion. click here

siouxah1 19:58 14 Sep 2006

ade.h.
Have just read your post re podlod.
I apologise if he/she has taken my suggestion that he/she post in the Dgital World forum.

It is my fault that a duplicate thread was posted.

Siouxah1

ade.h 20:26 14 Sep 2006

No worries. Hopefully, he/she will find that link useful anyway.

podlod 08:25 15 Sep 2006

I want to thank everybody for your help, and quick response in my enquiry, and will be back for more enquiries, Thanks !!!

podlod 11:04 20 Sep 2006

Thanks everyone for your helpwith my prob!!, another coming up.

podlod 11:08 20 Sep 2006

Hi again, I have a Nikon D70s digital camera and I am not quite sure on a couple of items, first one being, what is a focus lock and what is it used for ? and second is; the diff between a digital zoom lens, and a telescopic lens, I have heard telescopic is better and if so how can I control this method on my camera?Thanks for any help!

ade.h 13:35 20 Sep 2006

On any AF SLR and probably most compacts, you can half-depress the shutter release to lock the focus point before re-composing the frame. This allows the user to select the point of focus regardless of its position. It is a basic standard feature that SLRs have had almost since AF was originally developed.

An optical zoom is self-explanatory; a zoom lens that uses movable optics to achieve a change in focal length. A digital zoom is also self-explanatory; it crops the digital frame and enlarges the crop to the full size of the frame, which gives a zoom effect but reduces quality considerably.

A Nikon should not have a digital zoom in my opinion, and if it does, shame on Nikon. The raison detre of an interchangeable lens system is to allow the use of anything from c.15mm fisheye all the way up to 1000mm mirror lenses, limited only by availability.

Stuartli 15:00 21 Sep 2006

A digital zoom, whilst not ideal, can have its place on multi-megapixel cameras as the drawbacks are minimised to an extent.

Using a digital zoom on a 2MP camera, for instance, would not be ideal but on, say, an 8MP camera would probably work well enough for general purposes.

But, as always, the optical zoom is superior in every respect if it is a quality unit.

By the way I have a Nikon F401 body and a Tamron 28-200mm AF zoom - the combination produces superb photographs, with the Tamron replacing two separate zoom lenses that covered the same range overall.

It's also as virtually as compact as a standard lens so the combination fits comfortably in my Nikon camera case.

hssutton 09:10 22 Sep 2006

You say a couple of items, in actual fact on the D70 there is only the one of focus lock. Ade.h has explained this. As the D70 does not have "digital zoom" the second does not apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017