MACHINE REQUIRES BOOT DISK

cheechman 21:03 01 Jan 2006

I switched on my Mum's machine the other day and it is asking for a boot disk. It was working fine a couple of hours earlier - she is on holiday at the moment and I would really like to get it sorted before she comes back.

keith-236785 21:07 01 Jan 2006

could you tell us what version of windows ie XP, Win98SE, ME etc and also what you have done since she left, for example installed any software/hardware etc.

for boot disks, click here but we need to discover why it needs the disk first.

VoG II 21:08 01 Jan 2006

"asking" - what is the *exact* message please?

cheechman 21:27 01 Jan 2006

I installed a Mp3 convertor and then uninstalled it. Tried downloading a couple of tracks from a bit torrent but it was still working fine after that.

Its running XP and the error message below comes up.

Searching for boot record from CD Rom - Not found.

Searching for boot record from SCSI - Not found

Searching for boot record from floppy - Not found

Boot failure. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. Press any key when ready.

Is there any chance of doing a system restore without going into windows?

VoG II 21:31 01 Jan 2006

It seems to want to boot from the CD first so try a repair click here

cheechman 21:35 01 Jan 2006

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

cheechman 21:39 01 Jan 2006

Apologies for a being dumb but how do I make a back-up of the files at this stage? ie before I do the repair?

VoG II 21:42 01 Jan 2006

The repair will leave your documents intact. It only reinstalls Windows files.

As you can't get into Windows you won't be able to do the backup step.

keith-236785 18:34 02 Jan 2006

seems like either the hard drive has failed or the Master Boot Record has been lost/corrupted.

for the second one. goto click here, download a win98SE startup disk. once downloaded, put a blank floppy in the drive and double click the downloaded file, it will create the bootdisk for you.

reboot the pc, at the menu press "shift+F5"

wait a few seconds until you get the prompt A:> then type

fdisk /mbr

press enter and it will rewrite the boot record for you.

if the hard drive hs died then im afraid its a case of buying a new one and starting from scratch, trying to get the old one to work long enough to get the data from it (sometimes able to get it to work as a slave drive).

good luck

keith-236785 18:37 02 Jan 2006

just remembered, before doing anything else

Check you havent got any disks in any drives that could be stopping the bootup.

leaving a floppy disk in by mistake can cause a similar problem. (or even a cd maybe) just remove any disks from the drives and try again.

cheechman 21:22 02 Jan 2006

Hi

I tried using VoG's link and unfortunately it didn't work. I also found a link on paperman27 post which directed me to lots of instructions starting with how to create .tmp file by Charlie(?) who is not a geek - unfortunately that didn't work either.

I think it may be because the only Windows XP disk I could find was an upgrade CD. It told me that no version of windows was previously stored on the machine. Oh SH*T!!!!

Paperman - I will try your set of instructions tomorrow. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017