Machine as Gateway??

imperial4cereal 21:28 12 Jan 2009

I just got a wireless USB modem and it works like a dream. Is it possible to dedicate one comp as a gateway and split the connection through a switch???

Strawballs 22:13 12 Jan 2009

You could connect the switch to the modem and PC's to the switch or better still get a modem/router assuming you are not on cable.

MAJ 22:18 12 Jan 2009

I'm not sure, but I think HateBreed86 means he is using a mobile broadband dongle.

Strawballs 22:23 12 Jan 2009

Misread the question sorry, you should be able to set up ICS on the machine with the internet connection and connect the switch to that as I did back when my network consisted of a HUB connected to the machine with the dial up connection running 98se.

woodchip 22:24 12 Jan 2009

Why? there is no benefit as I can see, only a Slow down For comps Using it. The Wireless Router Modem should have a Firewall to protect from incoming bombs

Strawballs 10:25 13 Jan 2009

I don't think a router would work with a wireless air card dongle.

imperial4cereal 19:50 13 Jan 2009

Thanks for the help =) .Alright I now have a switch and one crossover cable. And I know how to set up ICS. Before I begin, will I need another crossover cable to connect devices to my switch or is the one that connects it to my pc sufficient?

Strawballs 22:05 13 Jan 2009

If you are using a switch you will not need crossover cables but normal network cables (cat5 or cat6)and yes you would need 1 from gateway to switch and one from switch to each other computer

imperial4cereal 23:54 13 Jan 2009

I've read some walkthroughs on connecting an xbox 360 via RJ45 directly to a computer and connecting to live through its broadband connection. Essentially I'm trying to do the same thing, the only difference is I want to connect my pc to a switch then connect the 360 to it.
so; PC > Switch > 360

I also have unlimited bandwidth usage. And it connects at 7.2 mbps with virtually no latency. (or has yet to be seen)

I am fairly new to networking and could use some assistance with said project.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017