Machine crashed on startup

Molly_Don 13:57 27 Jan 2010

When I start up the laptop it crashes, I've taken the battery out and connected by the mains lead but nothing happens, no battery light, nothing, when I put the battery in + mains lead and start the machine tarts to boot but crashes at start up.

Any suggestions please?

birdface 14:26 27 Jan 2010

Try removing the mains lead and the battery and then keep your finger pressed on the start button for 30 seconds reconnect everything and try again.
If it is from HP check the model number on the HP website in case it is one of those that have been recalled.

Molly_Don 14:37 27 Jan 2010

TCheers buteman, I've tried your suggestions but nothing happens, and it's not listed as a recall

howard64 14:39 27 Jan 2010

do you have a windows disk? if so you could try starting from that.

Molly_Don 14:58 27 Jan 2010

No howard, it was all pre-installed

howard64 15:03 27 Jan 2010

did you make a startup disk? or do you have instructions for making one? have you tried starting in safe mode? this is by hitting key f8 before the windows starting screen comes on. Or does it not get that far?

Molly_Don 15:27 27 Jan 2010

No howard I never made a start up disc (live and learn) it sometimes gets as far as safe mode / safe mode with networking / last known configeration but it's at the stage with those options showing when it crashes

howard64 17:13 27 Jan 2010

you have not stated which operating system it is? Have you tried going into the bios and setting to load basic bios which might just sort things out

Molly_Don 17:26 27 Jan 2010

opps sorry howard does it show how much of a novice I am!!

OK, it's vista OS, I went to PC World, the guy said it "Could" be the motherboard / charger / battery / fan, he didn't fill me with confidence so I brought the machine back home.

I've no idea about bios sorry

Diemmess 19:47 27 Jan 2010

B-asic I-nput O-utput S-ystem

The very first check to happen when you switch on, (normally not seen).

The fundamental instructions when it wakes up that tells the system it is a computer, not a washing machine or something else.

As soon as you switch on - I think you press F2 repeatedly with HP computers.
Others use Delete key to do the same.

When you hit the right key you see a very simple screen of low resolution and a bewildering array of items to choose or meddle with.

On that screen ALTER NOTHING except for a place navigated by the arrow keys (no mouse involved) - - look for "restore factory defaults" and when you are there, press enter.

Now look for instruction to press usually F10 but the screen will tell you to Save and Continue.

This may not do the trick, but will not alter any of your normal habits. Factory defaults are fine for most purposes and seldom need changing.

Les28 20:12 27 Jan 2010

Just in case it's a software problem, as opposed to the hardware side mentioned at PC World, does pressing F11 key after switching the laptop on access any recovery partition, HP laptop?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache