Macbook issue

gav223 19:55 05 Nov 2009

Hi.

I have just bought the new macbook and I'm having problems using my portable hard drive with it.

I can open everything on the hard drive with no problems, but when I try and drag and drop things I have saved on the Mac to the hard drive it will not let me.

How can I sort this out.

Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 05 Nov 2009

Have you use the external drive on a PC?

You can only read NTFs drives not write to them with out a driver such as NTFS-3G
How-to: Read and Write NTFS Windows Partition on Mac OS X - Stepcase Lifehack click here

If it's only going to be used on a Mac, then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) will work perfect.

Basically open up Disk Utility (Finder Toolbar > Go > Utility's > Disk Utility), Click the drive in question, click 'Erase' > Volume Format > Pick either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS Extended > Click Erase.

Now your done. However this will destroy any data on the drive, and will only be able to be used on Mac.

gav223 08:12 06 Nov 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat.

Up until I bought the mac I had two hard drives which both have things downloaded to them.

I will now be downloading everything from the Mac onto them, but if it is possible, I would like to open things on both the Mac and PC.

Is this possible and if so what is the best way for me to do this.

Many thanks for your time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 06 Nov 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?