Mac codes - compatable with LLU phone exchanges?

Mr Magpie 18:32 31 Aug 2006

I'm trying to get a Mac code off Tiscali in order to switch to another broadband provider but they insist that the Mac code system is not compatable with LLU telephone exchanges and they cannot provide a Mac code.
Has anyone else encountered this?

anskyber 19:44 31 Aug 2006

That seems to be the case, eg click here

Mr Magpie 20:02 31 Aug 2006

Thanks. Pretty odd situation though since LLU is supposed be an improvment yet at the moment it makes migrating to another provider a big problem. Tiscali say I'm looking at 2-3 weeks after I cancel before their Marker is removed from my line. In other words 2-3 weeks without broadband.Looks like i'll be staying with Tiscali.
P.s When I asked for my Mac code they offered me 2 Meg for £9.99/month, double speed and £5 less than my current service. If anyone is paying more than this it might be worth ringing Tiscali!

Stuartli 00:28 01 Sep 2006

It has been mentioned before that Tiscali will drop 2MB to under a tenner if you try and switch.

As already stated, obtaining an LLU MAC is not easy as ISPs have their own equipment in many exchanges - PlusNet, for instance, pointed out the problem in its support section some months ago to potential new subscribers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017