MAC codes

philly73 13:40 14 Oct 2006

i'm currently with telewest/ntl however i will be changing to sky as soon as possible but i have got to change too a bt phone line.Will i have to get a MAC code off telewest or is that just for people changing ISP'S and not phonelines aswell.Also what is a MAC code and why is it important to get 1 off your current ISP before you change to some other ISP

MAC codes are used to cause minimal interuption while changing ISPs rather than needing to cancel one, signing up to another and loosing your internet connection for a short time while your new ISP sets you up.

Telewest use their own fibre optic cables. Sky use BT's so you won't be able to use a MAC code to change because they are using different lines

johnnyrocker 15:24 14 Oct 2006

because it is suppose to ensure a smooth transition from one isp to another instead of wait 10 days for de activation and another 10 days to have it reprovisioned, all of which depends what mood bt are in at the time as to whether transition is seemless or not and as far aas i know it is not for phones per se

johnny.

LimestoneRock 18:37 14 Oct 2006

as [email protected] says, you do not need a MAC code in your circumstances.

Stuartli 19:57 14 Oct 2006

All you need to do is arrange for Telewest to cancel its BB service on or around the day you arrange with Sky for broadband using a BT phone service.

Presumably you also use Telewest for phone services so it may take a little while to have a BT phone line installed; Sky also seems to introduce its service quicker in some areas than others.

To be honest I'd probably stick with Telewest if I already had cable BB, especially as Sky BB is an unknown factor at present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?