MAC code battle

Probabilitydrive 19:30 20 Jul 2007

Just emerged victorious from a very civilized skirmish with PIPEX. I found Pipex's customer service has deteriorated during the last few month, and this -I'm speculating- might have something to do with PIPEX being taken over by Tiscali.

Feedback: PIPEX seem to be very reluctant to issue you with a MAC-code. I spoke with 5 different customer support advisor and only the last one issued me with a MAC-code. Various e-mails promising "...highest point of escalation for complaints within the company.." did not resolve the issue.

I received good support for the last 3 years, but if you do decide to migrate...know exactly what your outcome should be, otherwise you run -like I did for some time -in circles. Good advise: click here

Stuartli 00:05 21 Jul 2007

>>might have something to do with PIPEX being taken over by Tiscali.>>

I very, very much doubt it. Tiscali has only just done the deed, so it would not have been possible for the takeover to have affected customer service over the last few months.

More likely the fact that Pipex employees might have been under a cloud for some time.

Probabilitydrive 14:06 21 Jul 2007

Stuartli, I would agree with your comment.

However, Sherlock Holmes's: "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." turns into my version. "...when you have eliminated everything you know about ISP's, whatever you have read recently in PC magazines, however improbable, must be the truth...", hence my Tiscali comment :-)

MAC codes come in 2 flavours:
LLU MAC code = (Local Loop Unbundling is the process where the incumbent BT makes its local network -the copper cables that run from customers premises to the telephone exchange- available to other companies). If yo are on an LLU the only sensible option is to move to an ISP who accepts the LLU MAC.

click here

If you get the information that you are NOT on an LLU, the migration is much more easier as pretty much any ISP accepts the MAC code.

I just found out that moving from PIPEX to Be (LLU Mac) should be straightforward. (After this lengthy story I think I'm untitled to reveal that Harry Potter dies..;).

Stuartli 15:30 21 Jul 2007

I'm well aware of the MAC procedure; however Ofcom has taken steps to make the task of changing ISPs easier:

click here

As you say, it has proved more difficult to switch from an LLU service (it didn't matter too much until fairly recently as most people were waiting for their ISPs to go on LLU).

To be fair to Tiscali, when I requested a MAC, it was sent within 15 minutes by e-mail; that happened on two occasions as I didn't use the first MAC.

pj123 15:32 21 Jul 2007

Am I being "two short planks" here?

Is a MAC code really necessary?

When I switched ISPs a few years ago all I did was cancel the account with the one I was with and logged on to the internet (with a dial-up modem and a generic number) and joined another. No MAC codes were involved.

Probabilitydrive 15:46 21 Jul 2007

What I was unaware of was, that ISP's may transfer you onto LLU without informing you !! Should you than decide to switch you might find yourself in a groundhog day scenario, because moving back from an LLU-to a normal ADSL-based service is a long process called "cease and reprovide". (the LLU tag has to be removed, cost approx. £ 60.-- !!).

You could end up with weeks without I-net connection.

Once the horse has bolted, even Ofcom is of little use, because settling a dispute is a long process' .You have to register a complaint, wait 12 !! weeks only then Ofcom steps in..!

Dipso 23:30 21 Jul 2007

A MAC code is necessary when migrating from one broadband ISP to another unless you don't mind the possibility of being stung for a reconnection fee with the new provider of ~£50 as well as suffering downtime.

Stuartli 11:14 22 Jul 2007

We're talking broadband here, not dial-up..:-)

Migration Authorisation Codes came into being with the advent of broadband. This explanation may help you:

click here

pj123 15:35 22 Jul 2007

Stuartli, yes sorry, I did mean BB. The reference to dial-up was because there was some downtime between the cancellation and start of the new one. I used my analogue modem during that period.

Dipso, my new ISP offered free modem and free setup/connection. The old ISP has not asked for their modem back, although I still have it, just in case.

Stuartli 15:44 22 Jul 2007

I left Tiscali a year last April - if it wishes to have its Sagem [email protected] 800 USB modem back, it is most welcome.

I continued to use it, but it gave up the ghost last October, by the most remarkable coincidence, the day before my new modem router arrived..:-)

Dipso 15:44 22 Jul 2007

"my new ISP offered free modem and free setup/connection. The old ISP has not asked for their modem back, although I still have it, just in case."

But you still experienced downtime and probably signed yourself into a long contract in order to get the free activation and modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?