MAC Code

morddwyd 11:08 15 Sep 2010

I'm trying to get a MAC code from my ISP.

They have refused to send one by e-mail and say that I can only get one by telephone (It's a freecall, but you still have to hold for twenty minutes or more).

I intend to tale it up with OFCOM, but is this legal?

rawprawn 11:17 15 Sep 2010

I have to say that when I wanted a MAC Code I got it via the telephone, as soon as I asked for it they made me all kinds of offers to keep my account.
Maybe they use this as a last ditch stand before giving you the code.
Sorry,I don't know if it's legal or not.

peugeot man 11:51 15 Sep 2010

They will want to talk to you, not to be obstructive but to offer you incentives to stay.

Worth listening,I got offered 6 months half price by Sky plus some free tv channels.

wiz-king 12:00 15 Sep 2010

BT have an on-line form for this but they wont use it. You have to phone and hang on for ages and then they ask you why you are changing and offer you a 'bargin' deal.

morddwyd 12:09 15 Sep 2010

Thanks for the responses, at least I now know my ISP (O2, supposed to be one of the better ones) is not the only one.

Unfortunately I have a disability which makes hanging on for more than a few minutes difficult.

Perhaps I'll try waiting up until 2.00am!

The last time I changed, from the much maligned Orange, I got one fairly quickly.

onthelimit 12:30 15 Sep 2010

As 02 are so highly thought of, it would be of interest to know why you want to change.

morddwyd 17:01 15 Sep 2010

Absolutely dreadfully inconsistent download speeds.

Nearly 7 megs when it's good, but down to about half a meg when it's not, and that's not just at busy times.

In addition their customer support (broadband, I've no complaints about my mobile service) is abysmal.

They flatly refuse to use any e-mail address but the one they gave me when I signed up, which for some bizarre reason is different to the one I'd had for years with my mobile account, nor will they use any telephone number but my mobile number.

Since I live in a part of Scotland with poor coverage this virtually rules out telephone contact.

morddwyd 14:21 19 Sep 2010

Finally got my MAC code, by e-mail, after some desperate runarounds and with the help of Ofcom and the Equal Rights Commissioner.

Comes with an offer that if I don't use it for seven days I won't get charged.

Since when did we have to pay for MAC codes? I thought they were free, subject to minimum contract having been met.

sunnystaines 14:54 19 Sep 2010

they are free, never paid when i got mine from pipex/tiscali

Graham. 16:48 19 Sep 2010

Your new ISP may not need a MAC code, they will do it all for you.

morddwyd 19:38 19 Sep 2010

sunnystaines - I've never had to pay before either, and I've changed two or three times.

Another example of O2's rubbish broadband customer service, one of the main reasons I am leaving.

Graham. My new ISP is not one of those. I need to enter a code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?