Lost password on machine

Doire_Bhoy 14:50 12 Oct 2005

The youth club my sis works in have forgotten their password. I know theres a jumper on the MB that must be taken off then put back on to clear the password.

Any ideas where its located? What slot/socket would it be next to.

Cheers.

DieSse 15:02 12 Oct 2005

What password is this?

DieSse 15:07 12 Oct 2005

If you mean a jumper to clear the CMOS password, which comes up on a text screen on it's own, in the middle of the screen (usually), when initially starting the system up - then it's usually nearish to the battery. The motherboard manual will show where - not all motherboards are the same. Otherwise you can take the battery out - leave it out for 2-3 hrs.

I find it difficult to beleive nobody can remember a password that would have to be input every time the system is switched on!

If you're talking about a password to get into Windows, that's a very different kettle of fish.

Doire_Bhoy 15:08 12 Oct 2005

Win 2000 machine. Its a local machine (not on a domain)..... could i just hit Cntrl+Alt+DeL at login and then change if from there?

Doire_Bhoy 15:09 12 Oct 2005

The youth club is closed during the summer (for 3 months) and only re-opened on monday night

BurrWalnut 15:14 12 Oct 2005

So ALL the users have memories shorter than 3 months?

Doire_Bhoy 15:16 12 Oct 2005

Memories like sieves

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 12 Oct 2005

Windows2k
Try this:

1- boot to the windows 2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license

agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and For windows 2000 wait until it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt.

6- windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the control panel in 2000.

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Doire_Bhoy 15:22 12 Oct 2005

Cheers Fruitbat. I'll give it a go tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)