LLU MAC means I can't change my ISP

JOHN F K 21:36 11 Aug 2006

I'm a long-standing Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange customer. I pay 17.99 pm for Broadband. In April I was tempted by Talk Talk's Free Broadband Forver and registered for that, only to be told when I gave them the MAC from Orange that they couldn't accept it because it was an LLU code.
So I cancelled it. Almost immediately I saw the Sky Broadband offer for Sky Digital customers, which I am. I registered my interest and was told that I could get it in my area. During a long telephone call to set up the service I asked several times if there was going to be a problem with the MAC, which I knew would be an LLU code. I was assured by a supervisor that it would not be a problem. Today I gave them the MAC from Orange, which I'd again waited nearly a week for, and guess what? They say, as Talk Talk did, that I must diusconnect from Orange and they will set up the service, which could take 10-15 days. I'm not prepared to be without the internet and email for that period of time, and possibly longer. Has anyone got an answer?

Fingees 22:22 11 Aug 2006

It will only be 10 - 15 days in worst case.

As for Email, you can get to them using pay as you go dial up.

When you eventually change, you will still be able to access your old Email address, even though you no longer have an account with orange.

As for the rest of the internet. Is it that important? Think of it as a holiday.

All the best.

phono 22:39 11 Aug 2006

"When you eventually change, you will still be able to access your old Email address, even though you no longer have an account with orange."

How exactly can this be done? I don't want to seem to be abrupt but why should Orange, or any other ISP, receive store and handle email for a customer that no longer exists and, more importantly to them, is no longer paying for the service.

johnnyrocker 23:54 11 Aug 2006

i take your point phono and believe that to a degree you are right, it takes some isp's many months sometimes to clear out non valid mail accounts, they might be helpful if you ask them to retain the mail addy for a while.
as for your mac issue the number only remains : as far as i can remember 10 days. and then has to be renewed because that is the timeline set by bt to action the transfer: because they notify old and new provider for acceptance and if one of the parties drag their feet the order is cancelled.
hope this helps

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:55 11 Aug 2006

for indicating the issue belongs to phono.

johnny.

Stuartli 00:09 12 Aug 2006

LLU MAC transfers are far more complicated at present than normal transfers and will be until a suitable transfer system is set up.

PlusNet, for instance, has outlined the problems on its Support pages for several months and detailed the efforts it was making to ease the process.

johnnyrocker 00:13 12 Aug 2006

and the root prob in my opinion is good ol bt

johnny.

Fingees 09:32 12 Aug 2006

phono

I agree bout handling Email without an account.

It's just that when I migrated to BT, I asked Orange about a pay as you go account like I also have with Supanet, to enable me to collect Emails from people who may still have that address for me.
I was told, it was not necessary, as I could access my Email account at any time from my new provider.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017