Linking two machines via ethernet?

Taurus 15:34 03 May 2003

My machine is currently connected to the internet via a cable broadband system. The 'modem' is not in the computer but in the TV set-top box supplied by the cable co. The modem and my machine are connected via an ethernet card(fitted in the computer of course).

It is my intention to set up another machine in another part of the house, and want to network them. My question is, can I use the existing lan/ethernet card using a double connector or something similar to connect the two machines and will the second machine be able to use this connection to access the net, or will I need to utilise a second card? If I do, will the second machine be able to use the first machine as a link to the web despite having 2 seperate lan cards?

Hope thats not to 'double dutch'

thanks in advance

Dave

LastChip 16:17 03 May 2003

Your existing Network Card (NIC) must remain as the connection to your cable service and cannot be used in a double role.

You will need one further NIC in each machine, and this will provide the home network capability. The machines should be joined with a "crossover" cable, thereby negating the requirement for a hub. However, if you think you might want to expand the network in the future, a better option would be to use a router and then the whole concept needs to be re-thought out.

You will be able to access the internet via both machines, once the network is operating properly and you have successfully implemented Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). It is important to get the network operational, before trying to share the internet.

Taurus 16:35 03 May 2003

Many many thanks.

Presumably, by 'crossover cable' you mean one that matches output on one machine with input on the other and vise versa?

Will get that underway asap. Thanks again.

LastChip 16:42 03 May 2003

Two of the pins are transposed on the RJ45 plugs, as against a patch (or straight through) cable, when the pins remain synchronized throughout.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?