Java Virtual Machine + Norton Antivirus

Steve M 11:52 11 Mar 2003

I have a couple of problems that I hope some one can help me with,both applications have previously worked prior to repairs: (new Motherboard and re-installation of Windows XP Professional). I've tried re-re-installing XP taking the option to overwrite everything as opposed to installing'alongside'but still no joy.
1. While accessing some web pages, I am advised that I require Java Virtual Machine and can click a link to download ... when I try this, I am eventually redirected to the Windows Update facility because my version of windows is not recent enough .. when I try to bring my version up to date I eventually fail due to an incompatible 'key' number.
2. Norton Antivirus2003 will not Autoprotect or monitor e-mails. I can initiate Live Update and scan my Hard Drive but Norton will not do any Auto work. When I check, I'm informed that Autoprotect is'off and that E-mail scanning has detected an error. Again I am directed via 'Options to go on-line to correct this but get a'fix' back that does not correct the problem.
Sorry to drone on but apart from these the machine runs ok ... Athlon 1800xp, 512 DDR ram, Motherboard:SocketA Mainboard K7s5A
Thanks

€dstow 11:57 11 Mar 2003

There is some legal shenanigins going on between M$ and Sun (Java inventors) so you are better downloading Java direct from click here .

Regarding your Norton problem, contact them. They are claimed to have a very good helpline but I can't vouch for that - I use AVG as my A/V and never regretted it!

€d

Steve M 12:15 11 Mar 2003

Thanks for the rapid response but I'm baffled by the choices available on the Java Link ... which download do I need??

Installer. 12:21 11 Mar 2003

This click here

Steve M 12:27 11 Mar 2003

I'm impressed ... thanks once again for the quick response . all seems ok now re the Java. Will call Norton this PM for the other problem

Happy1 00:01 13 May 2003

Need to download this tomorrow. So putting in my Postings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?