iPhone 4s / iPad Air Cellular

wotbus@ 17:06 22 Nov 2013
Answered

Hi. The sim cards are the same size so I am considering taking out another mobile phone contract and putting the new sim in the wife's Chrismas present - and iPad Air. I have contacted my server and asked them if it will work but the reply was a bit vague, along the lines of "if you don't get a good signal we don't support it". Well that's OK but what I really wanted to know is, technically, is it possible? From they servers response it would seem so, but... Anyone please, thanks.

wotbus@ 08:27 23 Nov 2013

Thanks. Physical difference. I had my iPhone card with me and the shop ejected the sim tray of the iPad for me and it looked identical to both of us! But my question was; if the cards fit - will it work? I can transfer the sim card from my phone to the phone built into my car HiTech, and that works.

wotbus@ 11:01 23 Nov 2013

Hmmm. I trawled the net for info and get mixed answers. I have just been to the iPad shop again and also called in at a couple of mobile phone boutiques as well, and as always, the answers are vague. I have come to the conclusion that the iPad can never be used as a phone as it is not a phone, even though I have read that it is possible, with some modification maybe, in USA.

The sim card which fits into the iPad is purely for the iPad to connect to the cellular part of WiFi - thus giving WiFi access when not near a hotspot. My existing sim card contract may not cover this! My 4s card will physically fit, and probably other devices as well.

As an aside, the iPad seller (of course :-)) assured me I could use the iPad as a phone providing I took another contract which effectively gave the iPad a "number and cellular access - can be expensive", but this was contradicted by the girls in the boutique.

But, my sim card works in the car because the kit in the car is a phone, and, the phone in my car utilises cellular acces??

If anyone else can come up with some into I would be happy to learn, and I suppose when the iPad arrives all I have to do is pop my sim card in and try it ;-)

wotbus@ 13:07 23 Nov 2013

click here, and me, but don't lose any sleep about the intelligence thing. When you search the net you come up with all kinds of stuff and then when you're not sure you ask ;-) and hopefully someone who knows will give an intelligent answer without getting personal.

click here out the last para but don't bother replying as you obviously don't know.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/line2-a-new-phone-line-calling/id319185557

Yeah Check

Woolwell 13:29 23 Nov 2013

"The sim card which fits into the iPad is purely for the iPad to connect to the cellular part of WiFi - thus giving WiFi access when not near a hotspot"

Er - No. There is no cellular part of wifi. The sim card in Cellular/3G/4G iPad allows it to obtain data (at a cost) when not connected to wifi. It does this over the mobile networks. You cannot use an iPad as a mobile phone.

"But, my sim card works in the car because the kit in the car is a phone, and, the phone in my car utilises cellular acces??" Kit in the car is a phone? Are you talking about a hands free set up?

Woolwell 13:30 23 Nov 2013
Answer

To add in most cases you do not need the sim card version of an iPad. There are plenty of free wifi spots to use and mobile data coverage can be just as hit and miss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?