ipad v laptop

Garthyy 11:59 07 Nov 2010

I need to replace my wifes laptop and as thinking about an ipad. She mainly surfs the net but will an ipad be slower or frustrating in anyway? we tried one in town and it was really slow, can they be linked to wireless printers? Guess I know nothing about them so any help appreciated.

The Kestrel 12:29 07 Nov 2010

These reviews may help you decide:

click here

click here

click here

wee eddie 12:37 07 Nov 2010

Get whatever she wants and save your life!

I have no iPad experience but am under the impression that if you have experience of any of the other "i" Products, you will have few problems operating it.

There is little doubt that it is not a "feature Rich" as a Laptop and may be slower than a similarly priced one at the general Processing Tasks. I don't think that you would choose it if you planned to write a Novel.

However, the impression I get is that when surfing the Net, it is the Speed of your Network and the Download speed that are the limiting factors.

Garthyy 12:58 07 Nov 2010

Thanks for the help, just seen it does nt have usb or sd card reader which does limit it hugely to just an internet tool.
she doesnt know what she wants but needs sd card reader/ usb port for looking at photos.

bremner 13:30 07 Nov 2010

There are iPad USB and SD Card accessories. click here

I have a colleague with an iPad and have spent quite a bit of time on it and have never experienced any slowness when accessing the web.

The iPad is a great bit of kit but is nowhere near as functional as a netbook or laptop.

I would get her to look at Netbooks which have bigger screens than the iPad and much cheaper

naineysman 21:45 13 Nov 2010

I run my iPad, use spreadsheets, text and presentation documents, look at attachments in email without readers, watch movies, surf, cant fault it but then I have experiance looking at the right apps to get past certain hurdles.

Remember though its best to have a PC/mac to backup and transfer updates through iTunes.

citadel 22:12 13 Nov 2010

there are a lot of ipads in the recycle shops already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?