Ipad

kimtrnc 09:22 03 Jan 2011

I am considering buying an Ipad (I just LOVE gadgets!) Thinking of buying from US, as apparently much cheaper there.

Questions :

What running costs are there?

Do I have to have a provider, or can I use directly on wifi for free, or what?

Are they faruly durable, ie, if I accidentally drop it, will it fall apart?

etc, etc.
Opinions please
TIA Kimig

howard64 09:31 03 Jan 2011

I have only got close to one and it appeared sturdy and very good. I would be very cautious about buying from America. Make sure it comes with an international warranty. It will connect to free wifi and to your own broadband.

User-312386 09:32 03 Jan 2011

There no running costs, you connect to your home wifi. Like any consumer product, dont drop it! If you buy from the US you may not have a warranty and also you may have to pay import duty on the ipad, which could then push the cost up to the UK prices

bremner 09:50 03 Jan 2011

Apple warranties are worldwide.

anniesboy 09:56 03 Jan 2011

My son bought us one for Christmas.
It feels solid ,but I would not want to drop it.
The WiFi works well from our own router ,not been away from home with it. It uses Safari as a browser .
You set it up initially via itunes ,the touch screen is a bit fiddly especially if you have big digits like me.
Bear in mind there is no usb connection ,though I think an adaptor of some sort is available.
Ours arrived with a case which sort of doubles as a stand, battery life is good.
It will be great to take on holiday etc. as a gadget is great but not as versatile as a netbook or laptop

keverne 12:27 03 Jan 2011

I'd advise you to do a lot of research into what the iPad can and can't do. It certainly isn't a replacement for an ordinary PC or laptop.

For instance it isn't straightforward to print something but what catches most folk out is that it doesn't support Adobe's Flash Player - nor is it ever likely to.

click here

So if your favourite web sites use Flash then the iPad isn't for you.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:33 03 Jan 2011

After paying import duty and shipping costs I feel that you will see any 'saving' miraculously disappear.

G

ams4127 15:42 03 Jan 2011

I was lucky enough to be given a 16GB WiFi model for Christmas and am greatly impressed with it.

As previously stated by daconnor it does not support Flash. However, clicking on a Flash video on the BBC website results in the video playing in a new window. How that works is beyond me!

I have downloaded quite a few "apps", both paid for and free. Most are excellent. My only personal regret was finding a Kindle app which runs on the ipad when I had just purchased a new Kindle!!

WiFi connection through my BT Homehub 2 is faultless. No dropouts at all.

E-Mail is easy to setup though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a full blown programme.

Finally, as this is my first Apple product, I am pleased to say that "Yes, it just works"

kimtrnc 04:57 04 Jan 2011

Thankyou to everybody for the interesting info. I will take the general advice, and buy British!

Never mind - maybe I will win the lottery this week - then I can have one Ipad for every room in my amazing new villa in Tahiti....!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?