imac comparison

bob_ffc 23:48 15 May 2006

i'm looking at buying a new computer and i quite like the look of the 17inch intel imac(alway wanted an apple for some reason) but i can only find details comparing it to previous apple models, can anybody suggest a comparitive pc model or any similar info so i can judge wheather the extra expense of an apple can be justified. i only use my current pc for the standard basic tasks(music internet microsoft office etc) if that is of any use. thanks

rmcqua 10:36 16 May 2006

if you're looking to compare it with a laptop, try one of these:
click here

bob_ffc 21:10 16 May 2006

rite so my current pc is a 2.93Ghz pentium 4 with 512 mb of RAM so basically im wondering what kind of jump in performance the imac would give

rmcqua 08:55 17 May 2006

I haven't had any "hands on" experience with an imac, so best answered by someone who has. Compared to the MT40 laptop I mentioned, I think that would give you a significant performance boost over your present setup.

bob_ffc 20:47 19 May 2006

right can someone please correct me if im wrong, but isnt the processor used in this imac essentialy a laptop processor, and when looking at dell models i can configure them with 3+GHz dual core intel processors so isnt this imac processor a vastly inferior component or am i missing the point completely?

powerless 21:42 19 May 2006

***i only use my current pc for the standard basic tasks(music internet microsoft office etc) if that is of any use.***

The processor isn't going to make one bit of difference then, you'll want plenty of RAM if anything.

bob_ffc 17:32 28 May 2006

so is there any intel imac users out there who can tell me what they think of their model?

ajm 17:43 28 May 2006

I am the proud owner of a new Apple MacBook Pro laptop 15". Previously I had a PowerBook G4.

I bought that MacBook pro as I was quite keen to run both Windows and MacOS on one machine. Windows XP was a dream to setup on the MacBook Pro. This now will allow me to put my PC into "retirement" as I prevously was not able to use my Apple for applications like Outlook and Quicken. Now I am able to do so.

Go for an apple, you will not regret it!!!

bob_ffc 17:46 28 May 2006

can i ask how you find windows runs on the mac does it appear to be as slick as if it was run on a similar spec pc?

ajm 18:02 28 May 2006

In fact i feel that windows runs more faster than on my main desktop machine which is a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM. However, I have yet to install addiional software like Office or Quicken on the MacBook Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017