If I install SP2, machine won't boot and get bsod

cyberphobic 07:17 11 Sep 2006

Just bought a laptop on eBay (HP Pavilion ze4800)as it hadn't been used online much, I have been downloading lot's of MS updates. When Genuine Advantage loaded I got a message saying that support for SP1 ends on October 10th. I have now tried twice to load SP2 (once from a disk, once online) but both times when the machine tries to reboot I get the bsod. I have had to restart the laptop in safe mode and remove SP2 and then all is well again. Can't find anything about this either fron Googling or looking on the MS website. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

STREETWORK 07:36 11 Sep 2006

Is it a bonified XP installation?

Only way to verify is through MS, try authomatic updates turned on then set the date/time for updating...

€dstowe 08:15 11 Sep 2006

SP2 failures are almost always due to a faulty installation of the XP you are trying to load on to.

Are you able to re-install/repair XP on the machine?

cyberphobic 08:38 11 Sep 2006

It's definitely a genuine copy of XP Home, it passes the GA validation. Is it not the case that the XP COA on the laptop is only valid for the original installation and if I attempt to use that when it is required during the repair process, it will be rejected (and then I will be in trouble!)?

€dstowe 08:59 11 Sep 2006

I'm not suggesting that your copy of XP is anything other than genuine, just that almost all SP2 errors are due to some error in the XP system that your are trying to load SP2 on to. This could be due to the presence of malware, missing dll's, errors in the registry, a whole host of things and the only way to correct this is to somehow get the XP installation back to the way it is supposed to be.

Are you saying you don't have any means of repairing XP as it should be loaded? No disk, no hidden partition, no recovery disk?

cyberphobic 09:16 11 Sep 2006

Hi, sorry, the part about GA was directed at STREETWORK. No, unfortunately I don't have a CD or recovery disk for this machine. I do have an operating system CD which came with another HP laptop but it's for XP PRO rather than Home. If I rang MS and gave them details of the laptop + the fact that I have an HP recovery disk (although it's the wrong one) would they give me a new COA,if I explained the circumstances?

mikesuther 09:45 11 Sep 2006

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Microsoft is not the route you should take. for starters Although you have a disk with HP oem software and Win Xp pro that is not relivant to your machine. I would contact HP customer service, be honest, you bought the machine in good faith you like HP products but at the time could not afford brand new. Explain how you would like to install sp2 but cannot and that you cannot install a recovery cd due not not having one.

You should find that HP customer service are Helpfull. They may charge you but they may offer to send you all of the disks that came with the machin in the first place. Alternativley contact the person you bought from, they should still have the disks and it is not as if the disks are any good for them due to only working on specific HP machines. Unfortunatley to make a bit of extra cash some people on ebay sell the disks seperatley to the unit, a real pain.

hope this helps, regards

Mike

cyberphobic 08:51 20 Sep 2006

Coninuing this thread after a short break as unfortunately I still haven't resolved the problem. The guy who I bought the laptop from doesn't have the recovery discs so that is a dead end. I went on to the HP website and my laptop is not listed as it is "more than 3 years old" it has built in wifi and an Athlon 2.6 CPU so I don't really understand how that can be. I followed up with a phone call to HP, and was told that no discs were available for my machine but if I rang HP UK they would have the disks I need, so I rang them to be told "Sorry we don't do them any more"! October 10th is approaching rapidly, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair my XP installation so that I am able to load SP2 successfully?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 20 Sep 2006

if I attempt to use that when it is required during the repair process, it will be rejected (and then I will be in trouble!)?

Any XP Home disk will do to repair, as long as ou have the original license No. and yoou will not be in troule.

So beg stal or borrow a disk and try a repair.

But first you can try a repair from inside windows if you have an i386 folder on the hard drive:-
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here explains how to pojnt sfc at the i86 folder on the HDD instaed of the CD.

Newuser4165 13:45 20 Sep 2006

Cant you borrow a copy of the WinXP Home installation disk from someone.As long as you user the Product Key supplied with the pc which youassure us is genuine then you shouldn't have any problems reinstalling XP.
You may need to download some additional drivers from HP but that shouldn't be a problem.

There is a program around which makes a copy of all the drivers used on your pc for future installation but for the life of me I can't remember the name

cyberphobic 22:40 21 Sep 2006

Tried sfc /scannow option, then loaded SP2 again but machine still crashed. Started in safe mode so that I could system restore back to pre SP2, but all the restore points had vanished! So have had format the HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?