I can't reinstall my hard drive

Betsieboo 07:42 11 Mar 2017

I am passing my Mac onto my granddaughter and have deleted the hard drive as per the instructions but it now will not reinstall the original Drive what can I do?

Forum Editor 08:51 11 Mar 2017

Moved to the Apple Help forum from Tech Helproom.

Forum Editor 09:13 11 Mar 2017

"have deleted the hard drive as per the instructions"

Which instructions did you follow?

Betsieboo 10:49 11 Mar 2017

I printed it off from the help menus on my Mac

Forum Editor 11:28 11 Mar 2017

After erasing the disk you will need to download a copy of macOS from Apple.

Connect to your WiFi network by clicking on the WiFi icon at the top right of the menu bar.

Then, click on 'Reinstall macOS' in the macOS Utilities menu and follow the install prompts.

When you are asked to select an install disk, select the disk that you erased.

Your computer will download a copy of macOS, and install it on the disk. The download is several Gigabytes in size, so this may take some time.

When the installation is complete, the computer will restart automatically and display the new Welcome screen, and you can step through the various options - time zone etc.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?