How to transfer files from Windows XP to Macbook

cyberphobic 23:57 11 Aug 2008

After many years experience of Microsoft Windows my daughter has decided that what she must have for her 3 years at Uni is an Apple Macbook. She has hundreds of photos, 5 years worth of documents and Itunes with about 3000 tracks all needing to be transferred onto the year old Macbook which I have bought for her. Obviously it is my responsibilty to carry out this transfer, but I know nothing about Macbooks or where to even start. I have done a complete back up to an external drive using XXCLONE,can anyone please give me simple instructions of how to achieve this or at least point me in the right direction?

NETCHRIS 01:44 12 Aug 2008

Hi cyberphobic, filing on the OS X operating system is similiar to Windows, so dragging and dropping the documents, videos and pictures into folders in OS X should be self explanatory. There are even folders specifically made for videos, documents and pictures, so just plug your hard drive into the USB port (or take advantage of Mac's Firewire port) and get dragging and dropping.

Applications however will need to be downloaded again, as the operating system is different to Windows, so make note which applications she had on her Windows PC and download the OS X versions.

Transferring a iTunes library from a Windows to OS X shouldn't be different then in Windows to Windows. Here's a guide:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?