How To Install a HD from One Machine to Another

s99Raj 19:45 15 Feb 2009

My PC running XP Prof has died on me but the hard drive is fine. I'd like to be able to install it into a new PC as the master drive. When I try, I get the options Safe Mode, Last Know Good Configuration, etc. none of which work but only restart the machine.

Is there any way I can get it up and running in a new PC without having to reinstall Windows, maybe by doing a Repair?

gazzaho 19:52 15 Feb 2009

Unless both computers are identical hardware wise I doubt if it will work as the primary boot drive. The drive would have all the drivers on it for the old system, motherboard drivers, network card drivers, graphics card drivers, it would be best to format and reinstall XP onto the drive or use it as a secondary drive.

johnnyrocker 19:52 15 Feb 2009

what os did the new machine have? could there be a conflict? try setting new drive as a slave what happens then?

johnny

retep888 20:08 15 Feb 2009

You'll still have to reactivate windows even if you succeed in repairing it due to so many hardwares being changed.

DieSse 20:45 15 Feb 2009

A repair install will probably get it working. You'll need your original CD to do that, of course.

However, if your XP is an OEM version, then it is contrary to the licence you agreed to, to transfer it to a different system.

If your XP is a retail edition, then the transfer is allowed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?