HELP! MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina Display: which one should I buy??

Viccc 08:35 19 May 2015

As an aspiring music producer, I decided to buy a MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina Display (since it’s the only MacBook with 16GB RAM), but I see there are two models. The differences between them are: 1) The processor (but I don’t think the user would be able to perceive any difference in speed because of this, do you agree?? 2) Storage: 256GB versus 512GB (!!) I think storage is the only significant difference. But the option with more capacity is way more expensive. Since I don’t think 256GB is enough to manage my music, should I buy the 256GB option and also buy an external drive, or do you think the 512GB option is worth the price? Will I have any potential risks with an external drive? (I never used MacBook before).

Thank you so much!

wee eddie 09:26 19 May 2015

As a significant number of brilliant musicians have been blind, the screen that you machine has, will not make a blind bit of difference to the music you produce.

The machine you need, if you are being real, is the one that most effectively operates the software that you chose to use. The rest is window dressing.

Macworld 10:01 21 May 2015

Our recent review of the 13in MacBook Pro models over on Macworld.co.uk did bring up some key differences between the storage in the similar models at that size - differences we expect to see between the 15in models as well (but because they only launched this week we’ve not tested them yet).

In our tests of the 13in model we found that the 256GB version had storage that was faster than that in the 128GB version, so you may see a similar difference between the 256GB and 512GB versions. Read more about it here: click here

Macworld 10:03 21 May 2015

And as for whether to buy a Mac with more storage or get a external storage device, we'd tend towards an external hard drive if you think you really need a lot more storage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires