help with MAC please

iqs 18:26 15 Sep 2010

Hi,

I have never owned a MAC or used one,the closets I have got to one is my my iPhone,so can anyone recommend a reference book which will assist please ?.

Thank you

Forum Editor 19:54 15 Sep 2010

because you have bought a Mac, or are thinking of doing so?

To be honest, if you can use a PC you can use a Mac - they are both computers, and apart from different operating systems they are broadly similar. You'll feel at home quite quickly, the best way to familiarise yourself with the operating system is to use it.

john 52 20:25 15 Sep 2010

Having just changed over to a Mac I found the operating system pretty straight forward ! set up is extremely easy .
There are two books Mac OS X Snow Leopard in easy steps (click here)which is available from W H Smiths or Brilliant Mac OS X Snow leopard also in W H Smiths you may want to look at .
If you have not bought one yet consider the One to One which costs about £79 for a years one to one instruction if you live near an Apple store

iqs 09:10 16 Sep 2010

Hi all and thank you for the advice.

I have used windows based PC's for over 10 years,but was never impressed with the old MAC's.
Since an Apple store opened in my area,I have been popping in and taking a closer look at the new machines.

I have seen a particular model which has impressed me,but as stated in my original thread,I lack any real experience/knowledge.

Helpfully the Forum Editor is correct,and its just a case of using it and getting use to the new navigation system.
I will look for the books you recommended,it cant hurt to have a little bit of forehand knowledge .

Thanks you again.

qbie 09:50 16 Sep 2010

There's also a nice selection of Video Tutorials on the Apple site

click here

iqs 19:38 16 Sep 2010

thanks for the link

phoenix198 13:31 17 Sep 2010

IMHO the single biggest difference between using OSX and Windows (and potentially the biggest pratfall) is that the red 'close' button at the top of each application window DOES NOT close (quit) the application, it merely closes the window. To close the application you must use application menu at the top of the screen.

The Dock, while much like the Task Bar in Windows, also has its quirks, but with a little user time you should be fine.

Other than that, yes, it takes a little getting used to but OSX has a slick and speedy interface and the integration between iLife and core OSX services (Mail, Safari, etc) is first rate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?