Gremlins took over the machine - any ideas?

Rockarch 18:52 21 Mar 2007

I was just working normally this morning when all of a sudden teh pc seemed to go mad & about 40 windows opened up for all sorts of processes that normally run in the background. When I had managed to close them all I found a text file on my desktop that starts with this:
An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x7c9010f3, pid=2196, tid=2348
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_10-b03 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C [ntdll.dll+0x10f3]

This means absolutely nothing to me ( and there is a lot more other stuff I can paste if it helps diagnose). After that happened I downloaded today's antivirus updates from Norton , ran a full system scan with nothing notified, then rebooted & fingers crossed has been fine the rest of the day.
Can anyone tell me what might have happened & if I need to do anything? Running XP home & just normal programmes nothing weird.
Thanks

p;3 18:54 21 Mar 2007

of interest, what other protection do you have on the computer?

Rockarch 19:03 21 Mar 2007

I've got Norton Antivirus, AdAware & the usual windows firewall.

Just before this happened I had downloaded a small .exe. from microsoft to try & delete links in an excel spreadsheet (another story) which didn't seem to be working as expected so I don't know if the 2 are linked?

p;3 19:09 21 Mar 2007

I expect someone else will be along with some ideas but meanwhile you could scan with click here

click here

moorie- 19:19 21 Mar 2007
  Rockarch 19:45 21 Mar 2007

Thanks for that Moorie - still not sure if I should be concerned or not though?

moorie- 19:49 21 Mar 2007

download these and run
click here
click here
try and rule out spyware first.

phono 20:07 21 Mar 2007

I think your problem was your Java Hotspot Virtual Machine crashed and "dumped an error log" so that you could fill out a bug report and send to Sun for analysis.

I may be wrong but I don't believe that you have a virus infection on your machine.

moorie- 20:10 21 Mar 2007

I tend to agree with phono,no harm in running the scans though as you only use adware,always a good idea to try altenative spyware apps

phono 20:14 21 Mar 2007

"no harm in running the scans though as you only use adware,always a good idea to try altenative spyware apps"

Quite right, I should, of course, have added that advice to my post, good job you are on the ball.

p;3 20:33 21 Mar 2007

I suggested superantispyware and spybot as adaware has , as stated, already been run;

it is a good idea to do scans if for no other reason than to eliminate as far as possible an infection as the cause of the problem

so you should now have adaware, spybot, a2 and the antispyware in your arsenal all of which can be run to check for any horror stories::))

you never know; one may even FIND a gremlin having tea at the water's edge

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?