Gobsmacked by All-In-Ones

LevNet 00:48 22 Dec 2006

After years of trying out countless crap printers, this including all-in-ones, I was slightly amazed to find one that does exactly what it says on the tin.
This is the HP C3180.
Now bear in mind I use to have an Epson Sylus Color 440, which was brilliant...in it's day, then I moved onto a Lexmark X1160 - what a piece of s**t that is, expensive cartidges, bleeding on print edges, you can see the individual dots on photo printing, it has finally stopped printing all together, it use to print only half a page.
I found the HP C3180 at Comet for 39.99. It was at PCworld for 79.99. It comes with 5ml cartridges which aren't drained excessively by photo-printing, it is also shipped with three sheets of HP photo paper. It's one downfall is that it doesn't come with any USB cable...shame shame!
Although the scanner return is a tad noisy, the printing is relativatly quiet.
I have now noticed other PC suppliers dropping the price of their 3180's, this being PCWorld. Comet's newspaper style ad-mag still quotes this machine as 59.99, but it is 39.99. Give it a go, I was pleasantly surprised, you might be too.
Footnote.. Lexmark...don't believe their TV ad...not happy with their quality, performance or printing costs.

Weskit 09:57 22 Dec 2006

Trouble is, one can't get compatible cartridges for HP, or am I wrong?

LevNet 10:40 22 Dec 2006

Weskit, you can get compatible cartridges at Morrisons and my local Computer shop sells them. Alternatively you can get originals at a reduced price on ebay.
But like all cartirdge manufacturers, they often make same cartridges for different products ie: Dell and Lexmark use the same cartridges, and sometimes you can find that one is marginally cheaper than the other, though not by much.

Weskit 11:05 22 Dec 2006

Thanks, will give your recommendation some thought, I'm thinking about a new scanner.

Happy Christmas. P.

The Brigadier 11:33 22 Dec 2006

Try Staples own brand or Tescos, both made in the same factory but re-banded for staples!

Weskit 14:40 22 Dec 2006

Thanks, noted

spuds 16:30 22 Dec 2006

Compatibles? click here

Weskit 20:18 22 Dec 2006

Thanks, noted. Only comment, HP compatibles seem to be a lot more pricey than Epson.

shizzy 21:34 22 Dec 2006

HP have a printhead in the cartridge. Choice Stationary are very good for HP compatibles.

Stuartli 23:46 22 Dec 2006

One thing that has always surprised me is, taking the remarkably low prices of many all-in-ones, that a dedicated printer can often cost more.

However, something has to be sacrificed to provide a printer, scanner and copier in the one-shop approach.

Stuartli 23:48 22 Dec 2006

>>Try Staples own brand or Tesco's, both made in the same factory but re-b(r)anded for Staples!>>

..and Tesco as well...:-)

The Tesco refill inkjet bottles I used to buy had an amazing similarity to JR products, even down to the accessories.

As the saving was quite substantial, even more so when offered at half-price, I didn't complain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone