File transfer from a Win95 machine

User-731D3F8D-D8EB-4CD3-BAC35C722C57B032 17:10 21 Nov 2003

I have some important files sitting on an old PC running Windows 95. It doesn't have a CD writer, no USB ports and the files are approximately 1 GB in size in total. Using floppy disks would take forever. I also don't know whether the old PC has a network card. How do I find out this last bit?

Is there a simple way of transferring files from this old machine to a new computer.

I was told that if I install a network card on the old PC and use an RJ45 cable between the two, this would work.

Since then, I've been told that this only works on PCs with Windows 98 or later.

I also don't want to rip out the old hard drive and install it on my new PC as an alternative solution.

Could anyone please advise?

Many thanks.

smegs 17:19 21 Nov 2003

Take the hard drive out of the old PC and put it into the new PC as a slave. That way U will be able to copy all the software that U want.

scales 17:22 21 Nov 2003

You could try Direct Cable Communication. Windows comes with the software installed. You need to conect the two computers either with a parallel or serial cable. You might have to configure your machines a bit for it but the help screens are quite good. I managed to follow them to get a Windows 95 machine talking to an ME one for file transfer.

I'm a novice when it comes to computers. Is there an alternative method?

bremner 17:22 21 Nov 2003

smegs suggestion is by far the best way - but just to clarify - you will be able to transfer files but not the actual software programs.

To clarify, my last comment was referring to the hard drive being taken out. I'll give scales tip a go - thanks.

Is it just a simple case of sliding the old hard drive out then? And I'm assuming the new PC will recognise new hardware when Windows starts up and I can use the Install Hardware wizard?

Smegs's advice is certainly the best and the cheapest option, but in case you are not comfortable inside the box then using a parallel file transfer cable would be cheaper than installing a NIC. Its a slow way to tranfer files but simple and particularly useful for old systems. you could use a serial null modem cable which would be even slower but still works, see if someone could lend you a cable.

the software for this is part of windows so theres no problem there.

Diemmess 17:27 21 Nov 2003

As Shameless suggests piggy-back is by far the best way.

No ripping involved, the intensive care bit is to remove the old HD and be able to put it back again as it was.

The attachment to your new computer doesn't need to be sound in any engineering sense. In fact as long as it is connected by data and power cables it can dangle in space! Far better to prop it up with something though, just so it isn't jarred while powered up and during the data transfer.

wow , my typing is so slow.

You mentioned that the software is part of Windows. What's it called and where can I find it?

Many thanks again in advance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017