External drive for a Mac

hiwatt 13:50 11 Feb 2011

Hi folks.
A friend of mine is looking for an external hard drive for a mac.She tells me that the ones she has seen cost 2-3 times more than a "normal" drive for a PC?I didn't even know they would have to be different,I don't know anything about macs.I was wondering if anyone here could maybe recommend a reasonably priced external drive for a mac.She needs it to be at least 500gb as she does a lot of filming/editing etc.Any help is much appreciated.Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:15 11 Feb 2011

They are the same except for the type of file system used.

What to consider before buying an external drive for a MAC
click here

Aitchbee 22:05 11 Feb 2011

How does one create a "click here" (in blue text) to another website?

Aitchbee 22:08 11 Feb 2011

Will start new subject.

hiwatt 09:48 14 Feb 2011

Thank you for the link.
As I say I don't know anything about mac's.She has told me that she understands that shee needs one that is compatible with FireWire 800.I found this one on Amazon but it says usb 2.0.Will this not work?
click here Could anyone recommend one?Thanks.

bremner 16:13 14 Feb 2011

I have not seen a recent MAC that does not have USB so the suggestion she must have Firewire seems erroneous.

Any external drive will work on a MAC.

The best way to format the drive if she has OS X Snow Leopard and is it is up to date, is in exFAT.

Then she can save files larger than 4GB (the FAT32 limit) and still use the drive on Windows systems.

If she is abolutely ceratin she will never want to use the files on a Windows machine then she can format the drive as HFS+ the MAC file system.

hiwatt 23:45 14 Feb 2011

According to the link fruitbat provided it does say they usually connect with USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, or External SATA.I never told her this she actually told me before reading that,that she apparently needs a drive that is firewire 800 compatible.Can anyone recommend any good/reasonably priced external drives with this feature please?Thanks.

bremner 12:49 15 Feb 2011

This will cover all the options it has Firewire 400 & 800 and USB click here and its red!!

al's left peg 16:15 15 Feb 2011

I got a Western Digital 320gb My Passport Studio. It works with either firewire or usb.
It's great and does the job well, I would recommend it.

hiwatt 13:07 16 Feb 2011

Thanks folks.Bremner that link doesn't work.I went to Amazon an enetered in the search External drive for Mac,firewire 800 and seen one that was reasonably priced so I emailed the link.Thanks for the help.

bremner 14:37 16 Feb 2011

Works fine for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone