E Machines 570

critt 12:52 27 Mar 2008

Hi,
After the great advise offered with my last problem I hope someone can help now.

My wife moved my computer(model above) in doing so the mains lead came out(it was on at the socket) she just pushed it back in.

Now when I turn the computer on I get the on light and the "C" light flashing back and forth, re-pressing the on button does not turn it off.

I have printed out a pinout of the ATX power supply and intend to check out the outputs(After linking PS_ON to GND)
After searching on line I find this to be a common fault and it may also be the mother board.

Any advise greatfully accepted, I will test the PSU tonight and post my findings.

Gary

MAJ 14:08 27 Mar 2008

It's possible the surge of power blew something, hopefully it's not something expensive. Try out a new power supply first/ Because your present power supply gives an indication of being okay when you cross the connections, doesn't mean it has suffered no damage.

critt 08:21 28 Mar 2008

Hi,
I tested the PSU and all the voltages came out correct. I have put this power supply on another computer and it worked OK so I now assume I've got something more serious wrong.

I re seated all the cards and connectors while in the pc and re tested, the "ON" button and "C" button both flash constantly re-pressing the on button does not turn off the computer.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gary

critt 06:34 02 Apr 2008

Hi,
Got some other advise and tried it.
Stripped the motherboard back to only having the 24 pin PSU connector, turned on, no beeps and the fan ran but stopped immediately.
Replaced the four pin connector, same, six pin connector, same.
Replaced Ram, same, replaced sound/video card, same.
As soon as I plug in any drive, DVD, CD, Floppy, Hard the fan on the motherboard runs and the on button and "C" light flash constantly.
Even though I have checked the pin out voltages on the PSU I now suspect this may be the problem.
But I asked on here as I would be guessing, does the above give any of the more enlightened of you any further clues?

Thanks in advance
Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?