E-MACHINE RUNNING SLOWLY

parkhead 18:47 23 May 2008

Hello Wizards,

I have a six year old E-Machine which suits my needs and has served me well. Occasionally, over the years if it begins to run slowly, I have simply backed up my files and then loaded up the 'Restore Discs' which have made it as good as new. It is currently running slowly, taking an age to start up and complete some tasks. However, when I loaded the Restore Disc it did not automatically run as before. Instead it opened up as a window with various files. Three files had 'set up symbols' but I did not want to tinker with these individually. I would really like the Restore Discs just to do the job they have previously done. Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jim

jack 20:10 23 May 2008

download click here - install and run it.
Reduce the number of programs in the start group
Go to my computer/Help/ type in the field -
System Configuration Utility- follow the prompts to find it - check and delete programs that you do not need at start up.
Now go to programs/accessories/systems Tools/
Defragment disk.
Leaver machine to do it - it may take some time
When done reboot.

Taff™ 12:45 24 May 2008

I would also check how much RAM is installed. I have come across two e-Machines recently that were running slow. One had a basic 128MB and the other 256MB which at that time would have been just about sufficient. In both cases adding another compatible 512MB drastically improved the performance. You can check out what you need by running the Crucial System Scanner click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 24 May 2008

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 24 May 2008

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?