E-machine PSU

llollipoppi 19:55 05 Oct 2007

Hi I think my power supply may be on its way out or at least the fan is as every so often it sounds like its about to take off then it calms down again. I figured to be safe I would just replace the whole PSU unit but I have never done it before and I'm not sure which one to buy. It is an ATX case, p.c is about 3 years old.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Thanks

Laurie

jack 20:14 05 Oct 2007

Noisy Fan may be simply a dry bearing -
This is simply remedied with a drop of light oil on the bearing - under a silver foil label on the boss of the fan.
The speeding/up down is normal as the PSU comes under increasing/decreasing load.
PSU's are pretty standard and simply replace it with one of similar out put or higher- they come now days with a adaptable MoBo power plug to cover different boards types simply put in what came out.
As for suppliers they are all there on the Web

www/dabs.com
click here
click here
to name but three
For a machine like the E Machine you will not need a horrendously expensive one- just browse and take your time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:22 05 Oct 2007

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

llollipoppi 20:33 05 Oct 2007

Cheers Guys.

Okay. Being a crappy" Emachine I have replaced several parts already.

In January the PSU failed and it is seemingly a common fault in these machines. I took it to a shop to get replaced, who said that the mother board would also need replaced and I recently replaced the hard drive as it was about to go.

Do you think because the power supply was replaced in January that it could just be a bearing??

If so How do i get into it to oil it, do I need to actually remove the power supply to do this?

And if I do is there a risk of getting electricuted!! (of course I shall be unpluggin it from the mains)

Once again Thanks

woodchip 20:37 05 Oct 2007

DVD drives make that kind of noise when it's reading a disc, Check you have not got a disc in the drive

llollipoppi 20:40 05 Oct 2007

Its not a disc, checked that and also opened up the p.c to make sure it wasnt the cpu fan. Its defo the psu fan.

woodchip 20:48 05 Oct 2007

As jack above, It's a easy thing to put one spot of oil in the fan under the little label in the middle. This should be something like sewing machine oil.

To change the PSU, four screws hold it in round the fan at the back. You would need a PSU same power or bigger, plus all the same plugs.

Do not go for a cheap PSU. PCWorld sell quite descent PSU's

llollipoppi 21:03 05 Oct 2007

Thanks guys, I will try to oil it and if not I will changed it.

All help appreciated:)

Laurie:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?