Do I Own This Excel Macro Application?

beeski 18:57 08 Apr 2006

I like to play about with Macros in Excel and am learning something new everyday, great fun. Created an application for the Company I work for (in non IT capacity), consists of a group of Macros that process a CSV file data dump from there system. Saves them about 4 hours manpower.
Installed and let them use it, they love it but surprise, surprise don't want to reward me.
Question is guys - do I own this app, can anyone clue me up on what my legal rights are in this case?

VoG II 19:18 08 Apr 2006

I think that this depends on your contract of employment.

I write the odd macro (!) but the ones used at work belong to the company.

Simsy 20:02 08 Apr 2006

do it in your own time?

Use your own PC, at home?

If the answer to both the questions above is "Yes", then I suspect there is no doubt that you have the complete right to it, and who uses it. Which means you can stop others, including your emplyer using it.

However, there may be other mitigating issues, such as, whether you used company data/spreadsheets to "develop" it. You did it in your own time, but using company PC and power. This would need to be tested further.

If you did it on the company time, then, I suspect, you have little power to prevent the use by your company.

Note I say ll the above with absolutely no legal training whatsover! It's just what seems to me to be common sense.

Good luck... but don't cut off your nose to spite your face!!

Regards,

Simsy

TonyV 20:04 08 Apr 2006

You'll find that what VoG™ says is generally correct. However, if you are saving the Company 4 man hours, presumably every time this system is run, then calculate the potential savings over the course of a year, then submit the figures to your immediate manager, and suggest he looks at some sort of "productivity/suggestion bonus/payment" as a once of payment since you are saving the company a substantial sum of money over a period of time.

The obvious is to say it gets used 6 times per month at 4 hours saving, this equals 6 x 4 = 24, then multiply by 12 and you get a saving of 12 x 24=288hrs per year. This then multiplied by the cost rate per man-hour of those who are using the system, say £7/hr and you get savings of £2,016. A % of that would be very nice!

It's worth a shot!

TonyV

TonyV 20:05 08 Apr 2006

Even ....once off....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?