Disc Cleanup hanging my machine

Hare 09:17 08 Feb 2003

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated;
I've a fairly old Compaq desktop (PIII 800 128mb) running XP Pro O/S and Office XP Pro. Everything works fine until I run disc cleanup when the machine seems to hang and never completes the cleanup.
I cancelled the job but still the machine seemed to hang, so into control / alt / delete to check what was going on in "Processes" and the programme - "cleanmgr.exe" was still running and taking up 99% of the cpu. Stopped process and machine worked fine.
Shut down / restarted and when I tried clean-up same problem occurred.
It's not a major thing on the day to day as I can go and manually clean up but any idea's if this is a symptom of something else?

AndySD 09:35 08 Feb 2003

I have had this problem with it hanging when trying to delete Temp Internet files. It turned out to be cookies..... After manually clearing all I ran it again and it worked. Doesnt help your problem though....I will go look arround.

powerless 09:42 08 Feb 2003

This help?

click here

powerless 09:44 08 Feb 2003
  Hare 12:00 08 Feb 2003

Tried clearing everything manually, still hangs -or appears to. Looking at processes now and cleanmgr.exe is using between 98 - 100% of the cpu and sometimes taskmgr.exe springs into vivid life using 2% of the cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?