Dial-up networking missing from Network machine

dm123 12:44 04 Jul 2005

My friend just purchased a second-hand PC from his workplace. It's only ever been used on a network, so I've installed a 56K PCI modem for him. Problem is, the IT department appear to have completely removed dialup networking from this machine. Going into Add/Remove programs and clicking on the Windows Setup tab lists nothing - no communciations, accessibility or internet options to install or uninstall. This is obviously why the option to switch from a LAN to a dialup setting in the Internet Options/Connections in IE is greyed out. I downloaded dun14-98.exe from the Microsoft website and it said that it had installed, but to no avail. The machine runs Win98 and the only CD-ROM I have is Win98SE - it won't let me restore the settings from that.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue? Thanks

De Marcus 12:48 04 Jul 2005
  dm123 12:54 04 Jul 2005

Thanks, but as mentioned previously, clicking on the Windows Setup tab in Add/Remove displays a blank box - there is no Communications option to choose.

dm123 13:06 04 Jul 2005

that the Dial-up networking icon doesn't appear in 'My Computer'

De Marcus 13:09 04 Jul 2005

Sorry, should have read your post properly :-(

dm123 14:51 04 Jul 2005

no worries

dm123 11:16 08 Jul 2005

will I be able to reinstall Dial-up networking, or will I have to do a complete reinstall of Windows?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?