Desperately slow Mac since Yosemite!

Andrea-2227027 19:55 16 Dec 2014

Since upgrading to Yosemite recently, my MacBook Pro is very slow to respond to anything. Programs take ages to launch, and trying to open Mail and Safari is even worse. Once Safari has eventually loaded the homepage, it is slightly better but I dread closing it as I have to go through the same procedure the next time.

I looked at Activity Monitor, and in particular the Memory tab, and it says I have 4.00GB Physical Memory but it has used 3.98GB! However, I don't know where to look to see what big players are using it. Neither did I install anything new and it was working fine before.

Can anyone help?

Andrea-2227027 21:42 17 Dec 2014

I realise my problem is shared by many others and maybe folks are weary of explaining the same advice. I tried to see if there was anything on the Apple Support discussions and, of course, there are quite a few topics on the same theme. Strangely, when I tried to login to post a question, I seem to be barred from seeing any of the discussion, with the links all being 'out of date.' I found the discussions again on my iPad, tried to login again and was barred again! So clearly Apple are not wanting anyone posting more comments about how awful this update is.

One possible way of fixing it was to do a reinstall of Yosemite but I can't find how to do this. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks.

LesleyParis 16:58 26 Jan 2015

I'm keen to hear if there's a solution to this. Worst thing I did was update to Yosemite. Apple really need to get their act together with this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?