defragmenting an imac

so3003 10:56 16 Jan 2004

Hi everyone

Stuck using an imac in a lab I'm doing a project in, and it seems to be that it's running ridiculously slow - even for an imac ;-)

Anyone got any idea how to defragment an imac? Doesn't seem like there's any bundled software that does the job, and I can't find anything on download.com.

If you need to get external software to do it, is there any freeware stuff about I could use?

Scott

These people might know click here

Second thoughts, perhaps not.

Belatucadrus 12:02 16 Jan 2004

click here for some hints on speeding up Macs, the only defrag I could see was Norton and it's a long way from being free.

recap 12:26 16 Jan 2004

If you're using OS X v10.2 or higher, it is my understanding that you shouldn't need to defrag. OS X is based on UNIX, which has an efficient filing system that won't waste space. If your OS is lower then I would recommend you use Norton.

so3003 16:57 16 Jan 2004

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we're stuck with an underperforming iMac (running MacOS 8.X maybe 8.4?), because I doubt the department will fork out for any new software like Norton.

It is a bit ridiculous though that it doesn't come with any build in disk defragmenter. Ah well.

Anyone got any other suggestions for making it run a bit faster, that doesn't involve any expense?!

Scott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?