Data recovery tool for Seagate HDDs

Bseeker 20:17 01 Apr 2017

Hello everybody, I would like to ask community sugestions about a data recovery tool I would like to buy for Seagate HDDs. Until now I used a Nokia TTL cable which helped me repair a decent number of Barracuda 7200.11 drives. However this cable can't offer any help on LP, ES.2 or DM003 series HDDs which I get very often for data recovery and obviously have some firmware issue. Tools like PC3000 are too expensive so I was about to give up on these cases but then I found a tool kit called DfS on Amazon

click here

This set claims that can recover all Seagate drives with firmware issue and also do diagnostics while it costs less than 70£, about what I get paid for a single data recovery service (I am not pro but I have helped some people last years so their friends come to me often).

I am asking if anyone has used these tools and if they are such bargain as it seems. Do they reply to questions? Is the software easy to use or is it Google translation like Salvation Data tools I once used? I am not worried about loosing 70£ but about causing permanent damage on a drive.

Finally if anyone knows of a similar tool I would love to see a link

Any sugestions welcome

wee eddie 20:32 01 Apr 2017

As far as I know, there is a free Repair Tool on Seagate's website

Bseeker 20:35 01 Apr 2017

There is firmware update tool but doesnt work with drives that have already failed. You need to get terminal communication with faulty drives but serial TTL cable doesnt work with Barracuda 7200.12 and newer.

wee eddie 21:23 01 Apr 2017

Your "Friends" have to be awfully careless to have sufficient failed Drives to keep you amused

Bseeker 22:45 01 Apr 2017

Barracuda 7200.11 drives have a very serious firmware issue. They block into BSY mode and require an adapter and technical knowledge to repair them. Just do a google search and you will find out how often they fail. I used to get a couple per week but last months I only get Barracuda lp and DM003 series with firmware problem so I need to find a cheap solution for these too.

wee eddie 23:06 01 Apr 2017

If what you say is correct. Then one should, perhaps, be advising folk to avoid buying Barracuda Drives like the plague

Bseeker 23:18 01 Apr 2017

Wd drives are about the same but at least Seagate HDD can be repaired usually. However my question stll stands. Does anyone have experience with these tools called DFS and FW FXR? Can Barracuda LP with firmware BSY or 0MB issue be repaired with DFS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)