The current poll re: Mac

knockin on 20:53 17 Aug 2007

Is it only me that wonders if the phrasing of this poll is more aggressive than necessary? why can't the options be:

No.
No, but I'd like to.
Yes but I don't like it.
Yes, Mac's are great.

What's with this 'Why would I' and 'Mac's are rubbish' rhetoric?

Is it to discourage those with moderate outlook and a modicum of good manners from responding?

Forum Editor 00:01 18 Aug 2007

why we would possibly want to "discourage those with moderate outlook and a modicum of good manners from responding".

knockin on 00:31 19 Aug 2007

I invite you to tell me why you need to add the phrases 'Why would I' and 'Mac's are rubbish' to your offered options. I might easily have used a Mac, not felt it was for me, but not described it as 'rubbish' - which they are plainly not.

Forum Editor 00:50 19 Aug 2007

because I didn't frame the poll options. Perhaps you'll be good enough to respond to my request?

WhiteTruckMan 01:14 19 Aug 2007

is merely part of one of the options. You either have or have not used a mac. If you have, was it a positive or negative impression?

I personally dont disagree with the sentiment behind the option, but I do feel it probably could have been worded a little better. As it is, it looks like a pop poll from a 'lads mag'

And as is so often the case in the real world where things are rarely black or white, it would probably have been a good idea to include another option for people who were pretty ambivalent about it.

WTM

knockin on 16:06 19 Aug 2007

"why we would possibly want to "discourage those with moderate outlook and a modicum of good manners."

I think you know the answer to that. It is not unknown for the media to court controversy in order to promote business. These options promote polarisation of opinion unbecoming of this forum. Please do not affect an unworldy innocence, you are far from stupid.
I note your attempt to distance yourself from the phraseology, and have to agree with WTM "...like a pop poll from a 'lads mag'".

Forum Editor 16:16 19 Aug 2007

Talking in riddles is never a good way to justify oneself.

You suggested that our poll options may have been designed to "discourage those with moderate outlook and a modicum of good manners from responding"

I asked you to tell me why we might want to do that.

You have replied (eventually) by saying

"I think you know the answer to that. It is not unknown for the media to court controversy in order to promote business. These options promote polarisation of opinion unbecoming of this forum."

Which prompts me to ask (again) why we would want to promote controversy, and how it could possibly 'promote business'

What business?

I have made no "attempt to distance yourself from the phraseology" - that's offensive. You said to me "I invite you to tell me why you need to add the phrases..." and I simply pointed out that I didn't post this poll, so I can't tell you.

If you can't get your facts right it might be better not to post at all, rather than resort to rudeness.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?