Corrupt C Directory Machine will not start up! Ahh

chessy 12:50 03 Apr 2007

Hi All, My desktop running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 2 has given up on life! The following message appeared "The file or directory "C" is corrupt and unreadable - Please run the CHKDSK utility" -

The CHKDSK file system on C: file system is NTFS, then runs checking the consistency. Following message "Windows will not start successfully Hardware/Software change? The machine keeps running through the same loop every time I turn it on. I have tried starting as "Previous Good Configuration" no luck, "Start as Normal Windows" no luck! I have managed to load in "Safe Mode" and have run disk clean up but it would not run a disk defrag. The disk capacity is 114gb, free space is 103gb with 90% free! In safe mode I can access my documents and have looked at word & excel docs prevously saved. I tried using the System Restore tool but the message stated System Restore cannot assist please restart your computer! Getting confused & out of my depth! Please help Thanks

birdface 14:52 03 Apr 2007

Can you not run CHKDSK in safe mode then.

birdface 15:02 03 Apr 2007

i think it is ,my computer.Right click C Drive ,properties,tools, check now, Tick the 2 boxes and restart the computer,Then wait for an hour or two,till it finishes.

johndrew 15:03 03 Apr 2007

Start in `Safe Mode` open a `Command Prompt` (Start>Run type `cmd`). In the Command Prompt type: `CHKNTFS /X C:` press `Enter`. Reboot into `Safe Mode` and open another Command Prompt type `CHKDSK /F /R C:` press `Enter` and leave the PC to run through the whole process. It may take some time.

johndrew 15:06 03 Apr 2007

Should have said. If you want to see if the `dirty bit` is set or not type `FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C:` at the Command Prompt. It should say `NOT Dirty` after you have run CHKDSK.

birdface 12:04 05 Apr 2007

I take it none of those solutions helped,I am sure someone out there will be able to give you the help that you need.

chessy 13:21 05 Apr 2007

Not had chance to check as I have had problems with my Dell Precision workstation this week which has taken up most of my spare time! I will give it a try over the weekend and keep you posted!

skidzy 14:42 05 Apr 2007

" Corrupt C Directory Machine will not start up! "

If the above does not help you,try the system file checker:

Start/Run and type SFC /SCANNOW if your os is not preinstalled and no recovery partition...you may need the xp disc.

Understanding SFC click here

Again if all else fails,try tapping F11 on startup,hopefully you may have the hidden partition with a restore/recovery application.
Here you may be given 3 options.

1) Restore to factory settings (Destructive)all data and settings will be lost.

2) Recover without loss.

3) Repair without loss of data/settings.

Your options if availible may be different but along these lines.

chessy 14:46 05 Apr 2007

Hi Skidzy,

I am not in front of the machine at present but will give it go! Will this work from "Safe Mode"?

skidzy 14:59 05 Apr 2007

As far as im aware sfc will not run in safemode.

When you get time,can you post the make/model of the pc in question.Then we can find out if this has the recovery partition.
Chances are if about 2 years or older the pc may well have the hidden partition enabling you to restore/recover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?