Connecting a wireless MAC to run off a PC

nebuchan 10:56 01 Jul 2007

Hello,
I am trying to set up a home wireless network. I currently have 2 PC's (1 xp and 1 98) connected via a wired network, and both using a router to connect to the internet.

As i am home for the summer, i would like to use my MacBook wirelessly around the house. I already own a usb wireless adaptor, and would like the MacBook to access the internet via the PC, as it is on most of the time.

How would i go about setting up the PC, to emit a wireless network that i could then get the Macbook onto?

Thanks
Neb

ambra4 14:27 01 Jul 2007

Setting Up Wireless System

Go into router and check that wireless is turn on configured

write down the setting SSID etc

Go into wireless adapter setting and set the SSID etc

both PC & laptop must be the same to connect

Look at the site

click here

mgmcc 15:18 01 Jul 2007

Are you using a "Wireless Router" or trying to set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network between PC and Mac with Internet Connection Sharing enabled on the PC's connection to a "Wired Router"?

nebuchan 15:48 01 Jul 2007

Theres no wireless router.. So i guess its you second option. I am happy connecting the mac up to a wireless network, but at the moment, i cant get the wireless adaptor to create a network, it just moans it can't find one

ambra4 16:27 01 Jul 2007

Do not make sense

if you not have a wireless router what is sending the wireless signal via the PC to adapter????

You can not set up a wireless network with two wireless adapters

nebuchan 18:38 01 Jul 2007

Um, i was under the impression i could, so long as the pc (with the wireless adaptor) was on, another wireless computer can connect to it, provided it is set up correctly. There is even an option in the windows network set up wizard, for connecting a wireless device, that conects wirelessly to a PC, which is wired into a router. I just can't seem to do it!

nebuchan 18:39 01 Jul 2007

Um, i was under the impression i could, so long as the pc (with the wireless adaptor) was on, another wireless computer can connect to it, provided it is set up correctly. There is even an option in the windows network set up wizard, for connecting a wireless device, that conects wirelessly to a PC, which is wired into a router. I just can't seem to do it!

mgmcc 20:11 01 Jul 2007

<<<You can not set up a wireless network with two wireless adapters>>>

Of course you can, that's exactly what an "Ad Hoc" (computer-to-computer) wireless network is.

You will need to set up the wireless network details manually. In XP, right click the Wireless Network Connection, select Properties and click the Wireless Networks tab. In the Preferred Networks section, click the Add button which opens the box in which you configure the connection - SSID, encryption etc - and there is also a box to tick that it is an Ad Hoc network. Not sure what your Mac wireless software is (I use a Belkin USB dongle with a MacMini) but there will be an option to set it up as an Ad Hoc network.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

ambra4 21:40 01 Jul 2007

See that you learn something new every day

Thanks mgmcc

nebuchan 19:00 04 Jul 2007

Hello, following your instructions through, however i get stuck after this.. In XP, right click the Wireless Network Connection, select Properties and click the Wireless Networks tab.
I can't see the wireless networks tab? where is it or where should it be?

Thanks
Neb

nebuchan 19:15 04 Jul 2007

ok, i managed to get that tab. and followd instructios through, however, the computer is not emmitting a wireless network, and is still trying to connect to a network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?